Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

jimmerpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this safe for softies? Zoes, Leathers, etc?
Sorry for a likely repeat question.....I know it's somewhere in this beast of a thread.......but I have to head out now and will check back later.
Thanks!!!!

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this safe for softies? Zoes, Leathers, etc?
Sorry for a likely repeat question.....I know it's somewhere in this beast of a thread.......but I have to head out now and will check back later.
Thanks!!!!

I would say yes since I dipped my zoa's but don't have any softies and have not lost any and all are over a year old. Maybe others have had different experiences but nothing I can say has died from this dip except for pest.

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much but what I do have sat in a bayer dip
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/126085680@N06/14945535098/player/f05be40c1f" height="333" width="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

xtlosx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always dipped religously, but earlier this year I somehow got Red Bugs.... After that disaster, and doing the interceptor treatments, etc I decided from then on everything will be Bayer dipped. I've been Bayer Dipping for the better part of six months now and can't imagine not doing it. I've dipped Hawkins, Red Planets, PearlBerry, and many other SPS with no problems... I do the 10ml in a large 4oz shot glass as well and have never lost anything.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this with a few SPS and have had great results, saved a great monti I have. Can this dip be used on LPS (acans) and soft corals?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this with a few SPS and have had great results, saved a great monti I have. Can this dip be used on LPS (acans) and soft corals?

I have used it on acan and zoa/paly with good results

Greg79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do same for all new arrival SPS
But after 5-10 minutes in bayer I do rinsing in tank water then 5 minutes in lugols(1-2 drops per 100 ml), again rinse in tank water and after that it's going to low light and low flow area for couple days I usually repid procedure after a week or so to make sure
Never lost any frag and system is pest free as far as I know

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found out Bayer does not kill Red Planaria. I dipped a frag with them for 15 minutes in 20ml/cup Bayer solution. After the rinse they were crawling around on the frag like no big deal.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found out Bayer does not kill Red Planaria. I dipped a frag with them for 15 minutes in 20ml/cup Bayer solution. After the rinse they were crawling around on the frag like no big deal.

I find that very hard to believe.

Do you use a powerhead or stir the water to knock them off?

I always use a Turkey Baster and Blast Away.

I have been told that just changing the Salinity or Doing a Freshwater Dip will knock off Flatworms.

Flatworm Exit kills Flatworms and it does not affect other stuff in your tank.

I would never dose Bayer in my Tank though.

Bayer is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more potent than freshwater.

Last edited:

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video]https://youtu.be/1frxTWZH_ZE[/video]

15 minute Bayer dip, 20ml/cup. I use a round container and shake/swirl the Bayer around multiple times. After everything else falls off and dies the RP are still on the frag and alive.

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video]https://youtu.be/1frxTWZH_ZE[/video]

15 minute Bayer dip, 20ml/cup. I use a round container and shake/swirl the Bayer around multiple times. After everything else falls off and dies the RP are still on the frag and alive.

I have a springeri damsel that took care of all the red planeria in a couple weeks, he has been a model citizen since and not aggressive at all.

Eric G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is why doesn't anyone use bayer with germ killer? it mixes up clear so you can see what's coming off your frags. Is something in the germ killer toxic???

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is why doesn't anyone use bayer with germ killer? it mixes up clear so you can see what's coming off your frags. Is something in the germ killer toxic???
This is why:
Here's the ingredients from the beyer with germ killer

And also here is the ingredients for the regular bayer dip we all use:
image.jpg
image.jpg

The active ingredient that is doing what we want is the "Imidacloprid". The germ killer bayer does not have that, and that's why we don't use it.

Back