Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are using the bayer with germ killer product in a spray bottle.

BayerAdvanced.jpg

Kawicivic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guess not! - LOL

I know that the germ killer product had a dose similar to what you stated, but apparently it works with that bottle as well.

lawnman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did some checking after finding this post and if you were going to use any insecticide this would be the weakest insecticide on the market. All of Bayers other products have a invertebrate warning on the MSDS sheet. I don't recommend doing this but the OP is having good results with no problems. You always have to wonder what the other ingredients are.

lawnman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No all of Bayers insecticides are different. Imidacloprid is the only insecticide that does not have a invert warning on the MSDS sheet. There are warnings about spills in waterways drifting and leaching etc.

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one problem with this. Sadly insecticides do not kill the egg phase of redbugs. That is why 3, 1 week apart treatments of interceptor is necessary. I so wish 1 quick dip did the trick. So red bugs are particularly difficult to dip for. However poly ox is amazing stuff that does kill the eggs of nudis and aefw, and possibly even red bugs. Look into it if you are interested.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epic, I agree if after inspecting you find eggs, QT the frag and dip weekly (in Bayer).

And Lawnman, It’s nicotine based…..and I would prefer using a “weak†approach than some super-duper toxic poison on my corals. Bottom line is that this “weak†insecticide is effective. It’s been around for years and has plenty of history. In fact some of the “natural†gardeners have been making their own blend by making a tea using chewing tobacco.

I can only go off of anecdotal findings and tell you that I’ve lost nothing, yet have seen many “bugs†dead in the bottom of the treatment cup, and I’ve got a “clean€ tank. It works!

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading a lot about Bayer for dips. Is this more effective and safer than the once popular Coralrx? I'm just scared to try it as its an insecticide and thinking maybe a drop of it inadvertently in the tank will kill everything.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading a lot about Bayer for dips. Is this more effective and safer than the once popular Coralrx? I'm just scared to try it as its an insecticide and thinking maybe a drop of it inadvertently in the tank will kill everything.
What makes you think none of the 'proprietary blend of natural extracts' in coralrx are natural insecticides. just because it is an insecticide doesnt mean it is horrible. getting a drop in the tank wont harm anything as long as you aren't doing like a drop a day. It works very well. whether or not it is safer than coralrx...I have never had a frag die from a bayer dip nor have I had one die from coralrx so I would say they are both safe.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one problem with this. Sadly insecticides do not kill the egg phase of redbugs. That is why 3, 1 week apart treatments of interceptor is necessary. I so wish 1 quick dip did the trick. So red bugs are particularly difficult to dip for. However poly ox is amazing stuff that does kill the eggs of nudis and aefw, and possibly even red bugs. Look into it if you are interested.

Not trying to derail the thread, I am a believer in Bayer. I am currently using it. But Do you have any links to threads referring to poly ox killing AEFW eggs? All I seem to find is threads referring to monti nudis and their eggs?

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Redbugs are live bearers and do not lay eggs.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think Bayer is very different from CoralRX and Revive.

I have used revive in the past and tried coralrx only a couple of times. I believe both of these made the frags slime and look yucky initially. I do not see frags sliming with Bayer and often there is even polyp extension right out of the dip. I don't drip any Bayer into the tank. I do think it is appropriate to wash the Bayer off the frag by dipping, swirling it in a container of fresh tank water to dilute the Bayer to a negligible amount.

I think Bayer effects the pests and critters on the coral frags and has little if any effect on the frag itself. Nothing is perfect and everything has a consequence but pests can devastate your entire tank. Bayer also seems to be broken down by both light and water so whatever remnant or diluted amount that remains on the frag after dipping in a container of fresh tank water seems to breakdown in the tank relatively harmless. I have not seen any ill effect in my tank to either fish, inverts, pods, snails, or anything else from the Bayer dip. It is not a cure all but it is the best dip for eliminating pests. Certainly a much better dip than the others mentioned for killing Red Bugs or AEFW. Most definitely, eggs can and do survive dips so you need to still carefully observe the frags themselves and remove the plug they came on--atleast that is what I do. IF in doubt, better to trash a frag, than introduce a plague.

The real issue is preventing infestation and I think to date, Bayer is the best dip out there. Not perfect but still the best we have.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Bayer is very different from CoralRX and Revive.

I have used revive in the past and tried coralrx only a couple of times. I believe both of these made the frags slime and look yucky initially. I do not see frags sliming with Bayer and often there is even polyp extension right out of the dip. I don't drip any Bayer into the tank. I do think it is appropriate to wash the Bayer off the frag by dipping, swirling it in a container of fresh tank water to dilute the Bayer to a negligible amount.

I think Bayer effects the pests and critters on the coral frags and has little if any effect on the frag itself. Nothing is perfect and everything has a consequence but pests can devastate your entire tank. Bayer also seems to be broken down by both light and water so whatever remnant or diluted amount that remains on the frag after dipping in a container of fresh tank water seems to breakdown in the tank relatively harmless. I have not seen any ill effect in my tank to either fish, inverts, pods, snails, or anything else from the Bayer dip. It is not a cure all but it is the best dip for eliminating pests. Certainly a much better dip than the others mentioned for killing Red Bugs or AEFW. Most definitely, eggs can and do survive dips so you need to still carefully observe the frags themselves and remove the plug they came on--atleast that is what I do. IF in doubt, better to trash a frag, than introduce a plague.

The real issue is preventing infestation and I think to date, Bayer is the best dip out there. Not perfect but still the best we have.

I totally agree with everything said here. Except for one thing. It does kill inverts. Check out my thread: post 48 https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/mi...acropora-acro-eating-flatworms-journey-5.html

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with everything said here. Except for one thing. It does kill inverts. Check out my thread: post 48 https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/mi...acropora-acro-eating-flatworms-journey-5.html

I read your thread and thank you for sharing. My experience has been different from yours. Bayer most certainly kills inverts and that is why it is so effective. But I have not noticed any inverts in the display tank dying as a result of a dipped frag being placed into the display. I do not know why we are having different experiences. I have added probably a hundred dipped frags into my tank (not all at the same time!!) over the last 15 months or so, and that is a lot. But again, I did not see dead inverts in the tank and seem to have a healthy pod population. I do not know if there is a difference in our tanks, dipping regimen or our powers of observation. Interesting, is the only thing I can comment.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read your thread and thank you for sharing. My experience has been different from yours. Bayer most certainly kills inverts and that is why it is so effective. But I have not noticed any inverts in the display tank dying as a result of a dipped frag being placed into the display. I do not know why we are having different experiences. I have added probably a hundred dipped frags into my tank (not all at the same time!!) over the last 15 months or so, and that is a lot. But again, I did not see dead inverts in the tank and seem to have a healthy pod population. I do not know if there is a difference in our tanks, dipping regimen or our powers of observation. Interesting, is the only thing I can comment.

I think the difference is that I was dipping every frag (close to 20) and all colonies(8) at once. And I wasnt very thorough with my rinsing at first. So I think there was simply more Bayer entering the system. Especially once all corals were moved to the QT, there was much less water volume. After the first round of dipping in the QT, I then was rinsing and shaking them off in one bucket of clean SW, and then letting them sit in another afterwards. No more issues from that point on, or at least I didnt see floating pods and dead bristleworms anymore.

GuyWalker1219

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Bayer for over 2 years with no ill affects at all. Here's a video I made some time back for those who have never used it before.
[video=youtube;2UubUsZ2CSs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UubUsZ2CSs[/video]

huuta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i saw your video awhile back.thanks for posting, this video got me using the bayer.I dip everything in it.Works wonder and a heck of alot cheaper.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back