Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dipped 3 acans and an acro. I did a 5 minute dip. No problem. A couple critters were left in the cup.

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These questions may have already been asked, I'm sorry 8 pages is alot to read through. Where can you get that bayer insect killer from? What corals cannot be dipped, or are all corals able to at some extent be dipped? I have never dipped, and have never had issues with pests in my tank other than an occsional bristle worm which I havent seen in a couple months actually. But with all the talk of pests especially the aefw and red bugs and the plans for additions in the future I think I will start dipping, even at the risk of a couple frags dieing. So where can I find this stuff, and are there corals that cannot be dipped?

mylittlejade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homedepot and Walmart for sure have it. I have dipped zoa's, sps, and chalices with the Bayer and no ill effects. If you read the first page it has how to exactly do it. I have left corals in the dip for 15 plus minutes before and used more then the recommended dose and no problems were incountered. I would at least dip your sps because its only a matter of time.

Bryan

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have never found anything that bayer has harmed most coral comes out of it polyps blazing. I've dipped everything from 250$ frag sps to 500$ scolys for 15 min 8ml per liter of tank water with no problems or pests afterwards. :) Happy reefing.

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats why I became so interested in this thread, I have recently been gaining an affinity for sps only have 2 pieces so far a 4 inch green monti digi ORA, and a 4 inch monti danae ORA and have a fiji acro ORA coming on tuesday. I read how to do the dip and such, I just couldnt read through 8 pages to see if someone had already asked where to buy and what not to dip I appreciate your response thank you so much.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These questions may have already been asked, I'm sorry 8 pages is alot to read through. Where can you get that bayer insect killer from? What corals cannot be dipped, or are all corals able to at some extent be dipped? I have never dipped, and have never had issues with pests in my tank other than an occsional bristle worm which I havent seen in a couple months actually. But with all the talk of pests especially the aefw and red bugs and the plans for additions in the future I think I will start dipping, even at the risk of a couple frags dieing. So where can I find this stuff, and are there corals that cannot be dipped?

Chances are you probably have something and havn't realized it yet. Pests on coral are pretty common.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done. Glad I could be of some help (I'm flamron). Bayer works well and will always be a part of my preventative on my new tank as well as my existing tanks.

Wow, excited and delighted that you responded. You are the individual that directed me on the dose and directions of Bayer as a dip. You are the man It was because of whisperer's original thread and your specific protocol that many reefer's use Bayer as a dip. Thank you, flamron (Ronnie)

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also used the Bayer Home Defence with germ killer with great success. A local reefer (OUsnakebite) did alot of actual tests with this and has had great success, he did alot with the RC thread as well.

dosages are different based on which you use (complete vs home defense) but its nice to have a dip that works and isnt so harsh..

we have only had one coral not like A. Hyacanthus (Leishmans Red Table)

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
either will work as directed to kill AEFW...nothing kills eggs yet (well supposedly a new product does but i havent seen alot on the success of it yet)

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was meaning i havent read about success yet, no clue if it works or not just havent seen widespread "YES IT WORKS" reports as i would expect with something as big as that....id expect every reefing magazine, blog, etc to be writing full articles, showing test (scientific method etc) like with the bayer experiments....been hearing alot about bayer and its just another dip....but something that is a first at killing aefw eggs is a little bigger in my eyes....hopefully ill never have a need, but nice to know its out there.

So not saying it doesnt work just havent read/seen the masses posting yes it works.

taken from mentioned article is exactly what i mean:
"Time will tell if Reef Pest Solutions’ All Out lives up to its claims but some samples are making the rounds to aquarists around the country so feedback on All Out’s coral pest killing properties should be trickling in soon"

Last edited:

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree if the nps stuff is really killing aefw eggs we would be hearing about it everywhere as it would be equal to curing cancer in the reefing community. It would win the reefers Nobel prize. ;)

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree if the nps stuff is really killing aefw eggs we would be hearing about it everywhere as it would be equal to curing cancer in the reefing community. It would win the reefers Nobel prize. ;)

I hope we will. I dont even think this product has been available for that long. And, with all the "i dont wanna try anything new" folks, it might be hard to get more reviews. Youre willing to use an insecticide for your home and garden...but not a product specifically designed/marketed with your tank?

As Der quoted above, samples are being sent out and reports/feedback will be coming. Seems like its a newer product and we may just hear about this "cure to reef cancer".

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think if "samples are out there" news like killing any kind of eggs would be flying back in at the speed of light. Plenty of LFS's will being trying it to improve their in house fraging stock. A couple or three weeks would do... I'm not hearing that feed back anywhere. It could in deed be that I am out of the loop. but... I am in the R2R loop! I'd think those, like me, who use a microscope to check their corals but have tested would of reported back (I have not tried it and in the wings). I have my hopes up, but am bracing for a let down.

I hope it works!!! You can stack me in that camp!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back