Beginner SPS

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone suggest some good beginner SPS? My 20T was cycled 4 weeks ago and I've got plenty of light. I'm just looking to narrow the list down before I do research.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Tinola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropora - Green slimer

Any birdsnest
Any pocillopora
Any stylophora
Most Montiporas.

Good luck with your search!

thartsockpg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any sps in my tank because of light issues but if it were me I would wait a little longer till your parameters are for sure stable and then begin to add them. What lights do you have?

OP
OP
LukeG

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any sps in my tank because of light issues but if it were me I would wait a little longer till your parameters are for sure stable and then begin to add them. What lights do you have?

Reef breeders 16" value fixture. I've got it running at 50%.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropora - Green slimer

Any birdsnest
Any pocillopora
Any stylophora
Most Montiporas.

Good luck with your search!

I second this list! The green slimer is one of my favorite corals anyway. Beginner or not!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP on my iPhone while I am hiding from work!

OP
OP
LukeG

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, this gives me a good place to start reading up on everything.

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'd be better served to wait until your tank has matured and stabilized, before trying any SPS. I would start with some Ricordea Yuma's, since they can tolerate a more nutrient rich environment, and won't overrun your tank. Xenia's, Kenya Tree, GSP's, etc. are interesting, but can become invasive. Here's a good article to refer to:

Beginner Reef Keeping Corals | Successful Reef Keeping

OP
OP
LukeG

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added 3 Rics and 2 zoa frags to start out. I had a mixed reef years ago in college and successfully kept everything but SPS and clams. I was always limited running power compacts so I never learned much about either one. Eventually, I'll try my hand at both.

Last edited:

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have sps after cycle is done. Doesn't matter which coral. Just keep your alk 8-9 range and dose small ammounts of alk,cal,mag when your alk starts falling. Keep salt and temp stable you will have no problems if you keep up on your wc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LukeG

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle finished over a month ago. My first corals are doing great and look way better in my tank than at the LFS. I'm dosing 2 part and a water change is scheduled this weekend. The water parameters have been stable.

Here's my thread if anyone is interested. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109139

Last edited:

wrestle1952

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting my tank in a couple of weeks. I've been reefing since 1986 and made every mistake a reefer can possibly make. The cool part is you learn from your mistakes. I've tried putting SPS corals in too soon and having a lot of fatalities. The main reason I'm stating this is SPS like mature tanks. You still haven't gone through the algae cycles yet which can curtail things. I would wait at least 4 months (maybe more) before adding montipora or pocillipora. If you are still hell bent on putting coral in sooner try tubinaria or yellow scroll.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added acros 6 weeks into my tank and had no losses. I just started a zeo tank and added 2 tester SPS after 1 month and they are growing albeit slowly. The whole maturity argument is mostly nonsense, reefer maturity trumps tank immaturity most of the time....(notice how I avoid the word "all":p)

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stylo's are a good choice. Many colors to pick from. This is my ReefGen Milka Stylo with 2 yrs of growth. Also have a Trapezia crab residing in it. It releases eggs every month, good food for the DT.

Milka Stylo.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a Green Slimer in my tank a week after it got wet (no LR, used bacteria in a bottle). It's been doing great the whole time. Definitely +1 on that as a great starter SPS.

wrestle1952

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not nonsense waiting for a tank to mature. This hobby has many failures that follow the advice of careless reefers that rush too soon. People are going to do what they want. Personally I would wait until after the algae progression. Just trying to help people out Going to fast in this hobby is never a wise thing to do.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back