AEFW experiments and study

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know if H2O2 has any effect on them and at what concentrations.

OP
OP
tektite

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious how many experiments do u plan on doing and what r they?

I'm planning on being in it for the long haul. I'm setting up a system for the acros right now (built one of the 3 stands I need today in fact). It'll have a 55 gallon, 4 20 gallons, and a common 75 gallon sump. The 20 gallons especially will allow me to run experiments separate from the other systems if I need to, such as how long it takes AEFW to reach sexual maturity, and if corals in one of the tanks that is clean becomes infected by simply sharing the same sump as an infected tank. Anyway, what I want to experiment with is listed in this post, other than the top 3 in no particular order of importance:

This is my current list of question I want to eventually answer:

Top 3:
How long it takes adult AEFW to die with no host
How long it takes eggs to hatch
How long it takes AEFW to go from hatch to adults capable of egg-laying

More involved questions, that will be harder to experiment with so will take more time:
Natural length of life with full access to food
How frequently can an AEFW lay batches of eggs?
Does temperature affect any of the Top 3 time periods?
Is AEFW health/strength/capability to lay eggs affected by how sick their host coral is?
Which Acropora species are most likely to be heavily infested?
Are some species of acro capable of remaining healthy when heavily infested?
Does the species of host acro affect any of the Top 3 question results?
Natural predators of AEFW and effectiveness – acro crabs, wrasses, etc.
Is there more than one kind of AEFW, are some more hardier than others?
As they are nocturnal, how does an extended or constant light period affect their life cycle?
How frequently can a healthy adult AEFW lay eggs?

Control and eradication:
Different dip efficacy on AEFW, of ones hobbyists commonly use – Bayer Advanced insecticide, CoralRx, Revive, Lugol's, prazi, maybe RPS All Out (very curious to scientifically prove or disprove their claims it kills AEFW eggs, as they seem incapable of providing any of their own study's data).

OP
OP
tektite

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has AEFW or knows someone who does, I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me a few or even just eggs. I would like to gather AEFW from as many sources as possible to compare their reaction to experiments like the starvation one I'm doing now. I've already come across one strain that was ridiculously hardy, but don't currently have any in my system. A few people have mentioned getting some that look different than the regular ones, it would be interesting to see if there may even be more than one species of AEFW plaguing hobbyists.

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this may sound weird but if I ever get AEFW again I want to try RID lice remover and see how a frag reacts to the medicine. RID says it kills lice eggs so I wonder if it will kill AEFW eggs along with the worm. I know it sounds crazy but hey who thought to dip frags in Bayer

OP
OP
tektite

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this may sound weird but if I ever get AEFW again I want to try RID lice remover and see how a frag reacts to the medicine. RID says it kills lice eggs so I wonder if it will kill AEFW eggs along with the worm. I know it sounds crazy but hey who thought to dip frags in Bayer
Not sure I could dip my corals in pyrethrin/permethrin, you're brave :)

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said who would have thought to dip in Bayer. A small frag with worms at a small dosage not a nice piece

OP
OP
tektite

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 11, Experiment 1 (Nov 15th)

Compartment 1: No change (16 total egg clusters to date), all remaining 5 AEFW present
Compartment 2: No change (10 total egg clusters to date), all remaining 6 AEFW present
Compartment 3: 1 AEFW dead (10 total egg clusters to date), 9 AEFW remaining
Compartment 4: No change (1 egg cluster to date), 1 remaining AEFW
Compartment 5: All dead

Notes:

As this experiment has progressed, the AEFW have all became white. No more brown mottled color on them like they were when removed from healthy acros. AEFW from the most pale acro frags were pretty white to begin with.

Waterchange performed at 10am and 10pm

OP
OP
tektite

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 12, Experiment 1 (Nov 16th)

Compartment 1: 1 AEFW dead (16 total egg clusters to date), 4 AEFW remaining
Compartment 2: 2 AEFW dead (10 total egg clusters to date), 4 AEFW remaining
Compartment 3: 4 AEFW dead in morning, 3 died during the day, 2 AEFW remaining
Compartment 4: 1 AEFW dead, all AEFW dead

Notes:

AEFW dying fast. All 1-4mm size (Compartments 4 and 5) are dead. 4-6mm size (compartment 3) dying very fast, 4 dead in the morning, and 3 more during the day. The 6-12mm sizes (compartments 1 and 2) are looking very bad. AEFW all extremely pale and almost motionless, their size half what they were when removed from the acros.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 12, Experiment 1 (Nov 16th)

Compartment 1: 1 AEFW dead (16 total egg clusters to date), 4 AEFW remaining
Compartment 2: 2 AEFW dead (10 total egg clusters to date), 4 AEFW remaining
Compartment 3: 4 AEFW dead in morning, 3 died during the day, 2 AEFW remaining
Compartment 4: 1 AEFW dead, all AEFW dead

Notes:

AEFW dying fast. All 1-4mm size (Compartments 4 and 5) are dead. 4-6mm size (compartment 3) dying very fast, 4 dead in the morning, and 3 more during the day. The 6-12mm sizes (compartments 1 and 2) are looking very bad. AEFW all extremely pale and almost motionless, their size half what they were when removed from the acros.

starvation is not cool. they are eating themselves from the inside out. many organisms when starved will start breaking down their own tissues in order to divert the necessary amino acid building blocks as well as ATP and NADH to essential processes to maintain life. That is why it takes so long to starve organisms to death. these guys must be shrinking and dying as they eat away at their own bodies to stay alive. That explains why the smallest were the first to go. Talk about animal cruelty but I am pretty sure AEFW deserve it ;)
Thanks again for the updates and the experiments

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already planning on it, that'll be a future experiment. Its currently on my list of things to find out in my second post. Multiple compartments, several lit normally, and several lit 24/7. Compare the activity and egg laying in both compartments and see how the light affects them. I added that question when I verified they were in fact nocturnal.

Can't wait to hear the results keep up the good work

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back