How to get monti plate to grow levels

cmholl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a orange plating monti in my tank for about 7 months. When bought it was about 2x4 and now is around 10x8. This coral just grows out and not up. Is there a way to make it grow layers?

OP
OP
cmholl

cmholl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1397782330505.jpg

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are montiporas that only plate out. If it's monti cap you can try giving it more random flow. Some grow out for a long time before they start to scroll. Seems lighting, flow and parameters all play factors.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Some just do it more than others

Although my green monti did show some upward growth, I helped it along by breaking corners off and regluing them on top of the colony at different angles.

OP
OP
cmholl

cmholl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I'm going to get a little power head to place near it and see what happens

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sort of obstruction or structure nearby also helps, such as uneven rockwork or another monti to grow around. Your colony looks like it is starting to make new layers on the edges. Look at the top down picture of mine, you can see how the pattern starts.

I have recycled these pictures a few times, but this is what you can end up with if you mount several montis close together. You will eventually have to intervene and trim or the more vigorous monti will dominate. I have to trim these back every 4-6 months.

Montigroup2-24-13Large_zpsce92a5d4.jpg

platingmontis_zpscad1c0b4.jpg

OP
OP
cmholl

cmholl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's out of subject but what type of light do you have?

I was running a reefbreeders photon32 for about 3 months and couldn't get the settings down to make everything happy so I switched to a 4 bulb tek t5 with 18 3w royal blue cree leds on the front.

OP
OP
cmholl

cmholl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breaking off shards will encourage a different pattern of growth ie plating

I was thinking about that also. I might have to break off a piece and mount below or above main pieces

prime8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When plating montipora gets just sufficient light it will tend to grow out. When it receives more than enough light, but not enough to bleach it, it tends to grow vertically on the edges. Flow plays a major role in the swirls and ripple patterns of growth. Try switching up your flow every once in a while or if you have mp powerheads or
Jebao wp/rw try the random setting. If placed in higher flow it will swirl more.
This has been my experience and observations with the 8 plus types of monti caps in my tank.

Last edited:

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch the latest Thomas vision reef YouTube video from yesterday. They visit a tank with a gigantic orange Monti that must have 15 layers or more. Nicest one I've seen

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back