Acclimating newly purchased frags

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what the general consensus is for those who buy SPS frags on how you acclimate your new additions?

I used to drip my frags years ago but from advise I received from more than one source I stopped. I used to think it was the best way to go but was told its better to float them to temp and drop them in since they are already stressed from shipping and dripping wasn't the best practice.

just curious what others think or do

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a couple of inches of tank water in a Tupperware pan and place the open frag bags upright. I use a baster and slowly put tank water in each bag, then pour most out when full and repeat until the water in the bag is largely tank water and at the correct temp. This process can take anywhere from 20minutes to a couple of hours depending on the time of year/temp in frag bags. I then dip in tank water with Bayer and rinse. They then go in the DT or QT.

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take them out of the bag and put them in the tank. I have as good if not better luck doing it this way than anything else I've tried in over 20 years of keeping reef tanks.

leicalux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only float, dip, then drop, nothing else. Have been doing this for the past 2 years and haven't seen any issue. Some didn't survive but I don't think that is because of the acclimation.

jwebber974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt if you can float and put in. The only way to know if they are pest free is to qt and watch to make sure they are pest free.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip with Bayer in the water they came in. Meanwhile, pull some tank water and put in another container next to it on the counter. After 20 or so minutes in Bayer dip, rinse coral in the now closer to room temperature tank water in the separate container. Put it in the frag tank - usually. If I am very confident in the former owner, have inspected it with readers and a magnifying glass and the piece is one that I simply cannot take the chance of losing (like Dustin's Deepwater for example) I will put in the display after the dip and rinse. Rarely. Otherwise new corals live in the frag tank for a while and get 2 more dips before hitting the display.

Maikoa02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I float to temp. Add dt water and bag water along with frag in 1 gallon container and slowly add enough dt water to make 1 gallon. Dip with coral Rx. Rinse in dt water and add to qt tank for at least 4 weeks before adding to dt tank.

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like most people temp acclimate by floating , then dip and drop in without any sort of drip or water mixing

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I float bag for temp. Then put frag and bag water in container then add tank water slowly over 10 minutes then Bayer dip. Then rinse. Then light acclimation for a couple weeks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back