Acro crab question

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was thinking about picking up some acro crabs once my corals get large enough where they will not bother them, my question, how big is big enough? I am thinking that I have one for sure, and maybe two that are big enough to support them.

Please add pictures of your colonies that have them, along with any advice, thanks!

thefullmonti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acro crab is tiny, <= 1/2 inch, it can live in a relatively small colony, mine is living in golf ball sized pocillopora, pocillopora has great polyp extension, he doesn't move around much just hangs out on the inside part of the colony.

jwebber974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one on a small frag from reefraft it had no more than three small branches the little guy did just fine.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acro crabs will move around your display and find a colony that best fits him. I have never had one to bother any colony.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep hundreds of them. I try keeping one or more in each colony. I always seem them deep in the colony. If they were to move around much my wrasse would have them for lunch.

Last edited:

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure it's a good one. From what I understand the ones with the black tips on their claws are bad.

OP
OP
footballdude2k3

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help. I was gonna grab them from DD, so I am not worried at all about getting the bad ones, I did have a teddy bear come in on a piece once from an LFS, the guy survived a long dip in CoralRx, suckers are tough.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure it's a good one. From what I understand the ones with the black tips on their claws are bad.

This is not necessarily true. We've had a Cymo sp. crab (Blue eyed, hairy and black claw tips) live in this colony for 5 years without any issues:
DSC_6264 by terryl93, on Flickr

nt 2405 by terryl93, on Flickr

Thesmallerthebetter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna grab them from DD, so I am not worried at all about getting the bad ones

bear in mind the ones from divers den are Trapezia sp. crabs and will likely only host Pocillopora, Seriatopora or Stylophora.

they are also quite large (probably 1" from claw tip to claw tip when out stretched) when compared to acropora crabs and ive had them turn against my clams in the past!

OP
OP
footballdude2k3

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bear in mind the ones from divers den are Trapezia sp. crabs and will likely only host Pocillopora, Seriatopora or Stylophora.

they are also quite large (probably 1" from claw tip to claw tip when out stretched) when compared to acropora crabs and ive had them turn against my clams in the past!

Much less often they do get Tetralia crabs on there too, and patience is a big part of the hobby, so I'm not worried ;) Thanks for looking out though!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much less often they do get Tetralia crabs on there too, and patience is a big part of the hobby, so I'm not worried ;) Thanks for looking out though!

Yes they do and you are right, patience is key. I was fortunate to grab one of two they just recently offered. Had the second one in my shopping cart, got side-tracked and when I came back later, it was already sold. :smile:

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ima ask a quick question about these acro crabs(i just got my first acro 2 weeks ago:bigsmile:). nowhere near colony size, he's kind of a tester to make sure i can successfully keep acros. Anyway, whats the benefit of acro crabs? is it like a symbiotic relation? they clean any small pests, and the acro provides a safe home?

OP
OP
footballdude2k3

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ima ask a quick question about these acro crabs(i just got my first acro 2 weeks ago:bigsmile:). nowhere near colony size, he's kind of a tester to make sure i can successfully keep acros. Anyway, whats the benefit of acro crabs? is it like a symbiotic relation? they clean any small pests, and the acro provides a safe home?

Exactly, a lot of people say that the colonies that have these, are the healthiest ones in the tank, they defend it from would be attackers, like starfish in the wild. They help keep everything clean, and eat/scare away pests, I am very excited to pick some of these up. What kind of acro did you get in your tank?

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, since ya asked i don't know, i'm sure someone here would, polyps are turning a nice lime-like color where the body is a red-pink hue. first pic was few days after i got it 2 weeks ago, the second pic i just took
IMG_1655.jpg
photo(16).jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back