Space monster palys killing sps colonies?

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had any zoas or palys kill off any SPS colonies before? I have some space monster palys and and now two different colonies near them have gotten slow tissue necrosis. The first was a pink birdsnest and now my brand new acropora nasuta colony has bleached out on a bunch of lower branches. I don't for sure know if they are related but I don't know what else it could be. I also had some kind of stag horn acro that bleached in the same spot but I had broken the colony free from the rock and rotated it 180° so I think that's what killed that one. I'm going to keep monitoring the nasuta to see if it's going to continue to bleach and hopefully it will stop or I'll have to cut it apart. I'm not really happy about this. I just got the colony a couple weeks ago and it's been coloring up nicely and has great polyp extension until I noticed the bleaching today.

OP
OP
_sludgefactory

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that I put the colony right on some of the palys and they're dying causing a phosphate issue right in the local area? I have a Miami orchid sitting right on some its fine but it's not completely smashing them.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had palys kill the base of some sps were they touched. I never had them kill an entire colony. I would imagine it's possible if left long enough.

OP
OP
_sludgefactory

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gotten worse over night that's for sure. I'm going to have to go frag some just to keep some of it alive. These danged space monsters are like weeds.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some right next to my red dragon and they didn't bother it. Had, because for me they grow great for a couple months then melt for some reason -tried them 3 times.

I haven't had any zoanthid actually kill sps quickly, but rather slowly by shading it out at the base and then growing over the dead area. Those big green protopalythoa will actually sting sps though.

OP
OP
_sludgefactory

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to think they ate just dying under the colony and the resulting nutrients are leaching into the corals skeleton. It's been fine for weeks then boom, dead.

OP
OP
_sludgefactory

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran home from work for a minute and moved then to the sand. Have to see how they look when I get home.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had zoas kill off the base of some acros years ago when I kept zoas in my display and I killed the zoas before waiting to see if it continued- that was a few tanks ago, I like sticks more than zoas so no zoas were allowed in my current display

OP
OP
_sludgefactory

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some tweezers so I'm going to yank some out. My lfs will give me $25 per frag for them. The nasuta colony on the other hand is shot. I fragged of what still looked good so hopefully they'll survive and in a few months I'll have a colony again.

OP
OP
_sludgefactory

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looks like all the pieces I fragged but one are going to just keep on bleaching. The one that looks ok was extending polyps so I'll know if it's alive at ten tonight when I get off work.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back