Coral RX Pro for Red Bugs?!

Krull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help here - ordered some Acros (very expensive frags) and they arrived today with Red Bugs. I've treated with intercepter in the past, but I don't have any one hand and I do not have a quarantine tank setup - I"M FREAKING! I do have Coral RX Pro that I dip all of my new corals in -- They're soaking now and I can see the RB's laying in the bottom of the plastic container. Obviously they're not going into my main system!! IS Coral RX Pro an effective RedBug Treatment?!! Please help!!

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get some Bayer from Home depot and dip and it will kill all red bugs for sure. There are plenty of data on hear about the use of Bayer and strength.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit using coral rx pro because it let aefw by. Bayer all the way for me. I'd me pretty mad seeing red bugs on newly purchased corals. Especially high $ ones and if it weren't disclosed before hand.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer will do the trick. It's all I use for the most part anymore

Cajunmillerboy

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also looking for that same cure for red bugs. Is there a specific kind of Bayer to get ? If so can someone please post a pic. Thanks

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is! It will kill them. But look closely for eggs as it won't kill them.

I find coral RX and Revive to be mediocre dips that are only somewhat effective at treating SPS pests. Also, Red Bugs don't lay eggs, they're live-bearers...

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cajun. Don't treat whole tank. You will kill all inverts. Bayer advanced home pest control. Blue bottle. Holographic label

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that I always thought you put it strait in your tank. Thank again

Dip in bayer outside of the tank and then rinse the dipped corals in clean saltwater before putting back into your tank (this way you rinse the bayer off the coral)

Also use a turkey baster to blow the red bugs off the coral. I have noticed in the past that some hang on for life lol.

Last edited:

dmtapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral RX does not and has never claimed to kill Red Bugs. If used properly, Coral RX will destroy flatworms, nudibranchs, bristleworms, spiders, hair algae, bacterial infections...
There is no iodine which can stain your corals. Coral RX is made from natural ingredients.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer is a good choice but you risk stressing the corals, when compared to interceptor spectrum, it has virtually no impact to the corals. Since you probably don't have time to get interceptor (order from Australia), you could maybe do a quick dip to kill most of them off then follow up with interceptor once you can get your hands on some.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer is a good choice but you risk stressing the corals, when compared to interceptor spectrum, it has virtually no impact to the corals. Since you probably don't have time to get interceptor (order from Australia), you could maybe do a quick dip to kill most of them off then follow up with interceptor once you can get your hands on some.

Bayer is very easy on sps and doesn't put them under hardly any stress. Personally I've never ha a piece lose color or not have full PE shortly after being put thru a dip.

OP
OP
Krull

Krull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help everyone!!! Corals dipped and quarantined for now. This is the first I'm learning about Bayer -- certainly useful information!!! Hopefully no more issues!! Thanks again!!!

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back