Montipora Digi question

SweetOblivion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello chaps, before we begin I'd like to share a bit of backstory.

This is my 6th month in the hobby, and 3rd month of reefing. I get a lot of my animals and plants from a local fishstore run by a seasoned fellow named Mike.

Mike has decades of experiance in fishkeeping and is rarely mistaken, he used to work on tanks for movie sets years back.

Anyway, I recently purchased a good sized Montipora Digi with bright green polyps for about 50 dollars. I've had it for a while and love it quite a bit, as this is my first SPS coral, but I've noticed something peculiar.

The branches on this digi are disturbingly thin, maybe a 1/4 of an in the thicker areas. It's quite brittle as well, I've managed to break off a few pieces while simply moving it (which later were glued to frag plugs and placed back in the tank until my frag tank is set up) I've never seen a digi this thin before, even online.

I'm curious as to what my fishkeeping elders think of this, and if there's any way to encourage thicker branch growth.

Thanks.

CAM00003.jpg

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1... Polyp extension and branch growth would lead me to believe that it is a birdsnest.

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the wrong coral, the branches might not get too much thicker if that is the case, but I think I have about 40-50x turnover in my tank

OP
OP
SweetOblivion

SweetOblivion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's rather enlightening.

That explains why it's so delicate.

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
birdsnests are usually pretty hardy, I had a bunch of frags survive after taking a ride through an MP40, what do you mean it is pretty delicate?

OP
OP
SweetOblivion

SweetOblivion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
birdsnests are usually pretty hardy, I had a bunch of frags survive after taking a ride through an MP40, what do you mean it is pretty delicate?

What I meant was: It has a rather brittle skeleton compared to most of the other SPS corals I've seen.

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, that looks like an ORA neon green birdsnest and it looks fine as far as thickness. Mine does grow in a tighter cluster though.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back