I've killed another one (I think)

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm frustrated - mostly for not know what I'm doing wrong so I thought someone might share there wisdom with me. My tank, a 60 gallon AIO is 4 and 11 days old. I purchased a monti about 10 days ago while I was in Miami, it's a mariculture coral if that matters. This is what it looked like when I got it home:

IMG_0141_2.jpg

So pretty subtle pinkish, but it looked healthy. It's been at the bottom of my tank since I've had it, I first placed right in the front of my tank and then moved further back. After moving it has turned pretty brown and some of the tips are white (maybe died), this is what it looks like today:

photo.jpg

I'm running Radion XR30w at 60%, with the UV, blue and royal blue ramping up to 100% for most of the time the lights are one, and the white's at about 30-35% for about 8 hours during the day. My water param's for Ammonia and Nitrite are consistently 0. My nitrate jumps a bit 10-20 ppm to up to 40 or more at times (even though I do weekly water changes of 5 gallons) and my calcium and magnesium are all within accepted ranges, last calc test was at 435 ppm. My phosphate sometimes runs at 0 (but I'm sure that's a result of how much of the stupid powder I'm able to get into the stupid tiny testing bottle that Hannah requires) and last was at .07 ppm. My alkalinity is by biggest concern because it seems high, last test was 10.1, the week before 9.8, a few weeks before that 14! - I'd say over the last few months I've been testing the Alk is averaging ~10. I don't know how to get it down (or if I should). I was dosing calcium for a while to get my calc up but I haven't dosed anything for about 2.5 weeks.

I use Dr. Tim's waste-away once a week.

Now if it was just this monti I wouldn't mind (well I would) knowing that some corals just aren't going to make it. But I've had a Chypastrea, bird of paradise, leptoseris, and chalice (Meteor shower, echinophyllia)all kick the bucket. The lepto and chalice were most likely my fault for placing then too high in the tank. While at the same time, my mushrooms (ricordea, Actinodiscus), various Zoas/Palys, a pipe-organ, star-polyp, goniopora, blasto's and Acan. lords, pavano cactus, and Galaxea are all doing fine.

so anyone know why the Monti (which I thought was a relatively easy sps to have) browned out while other corals are doing fine? The thing that's most frustrating to me is not knowing why so I can correct what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Striker089

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to run the white a little bit higher cuz it needs a variety light spectrums to grow. Make sure your water paremeters is good too, I mostly check for temp, salinity and nitrate.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back