Do Not Make This Stupid Mistake

chefmur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 150 gal mostly SPS tank, upgraded from a 75 almost two years ago. Up until 2 months ago things were awesome SPS looked amazing , great growth and color. I had a red planet colony that was a foot and a half long and a foot wide that shelved along the middle of my tank. I run Radium Pros for lighting and whole system controlled and monitored with an Apex. Levels have been constant for over a year within perfect range for keeping SPS.

One day a couple of months ago I noticed my red planet starting to loose tissue on the base, a full check of parameters showed everything was good. It was pretty slow so I just left it to see, slowly my other SPS started loosing it's super bright colors and my smaller pieces and frags were dying. One morning I came down to look at the tank and my whole red dragon was gone. So now I was freaking out, once again all levels were fine. I was pretty sure it was not bugs as all corals were dying from base and my magnifying glass showed no pests or bite marks.
The only thing I could think of was my wife had been spraying for bugs and she finally admitted to spraying a little behind my tank, however my fish and lps corals remained healthy and unaffected. So I did a series of major water changes, I already run carbon so I kept it running switching the carbon out every few days. Not only did things get better they got worse, more losses and now even all my monti caps that grow like weeds were losing color and dying.

I was now totally frustrated and ready to tear my tank down, my reefing buddy told me to bring some of my water by and he would run a batch of tests using his test equipment. He called me and said all tests were same results except one salinity. I normally have salinity at 1.023-1.104, he has a Milwaukee meter and it was reading 1.029. I could not believe it , I had the refractometer you hold up to the light and obviously was completely out of calibration. This had never crossed my mind to check , sure enough after slowly getting salinity back to normal range over a couple weeks things are looking much better, the few sps that made are looking better, my encrusting montis which all had lost their color were returning to normal colors.

After all said and done I probably lost a couple thousand dollars in SPS and a beautiful reef. A stupid and expensive mistake so many times we are looking for a complicated fix to a problem we miss the basics.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the calibration solution for my refractometer every time I use it. Sorry to hear about your troubles and loss, we all live and learn.

Nevil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^+1. Sorry to hear about your issues. I also calibrate my refractometer before I use it eveytime.

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had my calibration fluid go bad after a year. I didn't realize until I ordered a new one and compared. I guess it slowly crept up from 35ppt to 37ppt. So order new fluid from time to time…

Diamond Jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a feeling my old crappy hydrometer was off. Purchased a Milwaukee and found my salinity was 1.028. With all the money we spend on corals we should all have one of these bad boys.

Stoneyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude thanks for sharing your tales. I swear the best stuff on forums to read are stories such as yours. If we dont learn history we will be doomed to repeat it. Btw i never calibrated my spec. Will be doing first thing tommorrow. Im petrified to learn the results

reif119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think nothing can beat the old fashioned floating hydrometers. They do not need to be calibrated and they also cannot give false results unless they are severely damaged...

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think nothing can beat the old fashioned floating hydrometers. They do not need to be calibrated and they also cannot give false results unless they are severely damaged...

This is true, if I recall their inaccuracy is consistent, so just factor that in 1smile1

Sorry to hear about your losses Michael, if any of the pieces you lost came from me let me know and I'll see what I can do for replacements, some I can't but what I can I will (you cover shipping) :bigsmile:

I had a similar issue but my refractor was only off .002

I always shoot for 1.025 and my drop happened a few years back-I was talking to an owner of a LFS when I told him, "hey I just wanted to let you know your SG is low, I tested your water (as I do every time I buy from anyone) and the SG is 1.022" We ran a few tests and it was discovered it was my tank water that was low, I hadn't calibrated in maybe 2 years and was lucky in comparison.

Anyway sorry again and shoot me a PM if interested.

Take care

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issue that happened to me two weeks ago. My refractometer read 1.025 all day but I learned my refractometer was off. My water was really at 1.018.

misael888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang dude, so sorry to hear about your losses. One thing I can tell you, is that due to your bad experience many reefers will benefit from it including my self. Thanks for sharing :hail:

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing positive is that you'll be able to grow back and even better reef now!
I check that pirate's scope every time I use it. It's habit now, I don't even think about it, I just use it. Then I keep a bottle of calibration fluid upstairs in my sump room and downstairs where I make fresh SW.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that my refractometer creeps up over a couple months. So every couple months I calibrate with RO/DI water. It will creep up by about .002 or .003 SG over the couple months. I can tell if its off because my fresh saltwater mix is consistently 1.024 and if it is off then I check the calibration.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back