Status
Not open for further replies.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the commotion over the of jawdropper last week and having vendors going at it on or behind the scenes over correct lineage. I for one was following along and after everything was said and done and the smoke cleared what was accomplished. I don't believe I saw RR USA participate to hear if he has the OG JD from Canada or if it was his version of the JD and 2GC quit our forums. So with all said and done has all this caused the JD to be more desirable or less desirable. Let's talk about it because I for one wanna start an sps tank and this was one of my top 3 must have gems.

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could see mini colonies it might be desirable but right now it's just hype

Last edited:

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all of it is hype and is totally unnecessary in this hobby. I have never liked the whole lineage game. There is absolutely no way to prove any of it and in my opinion it doesn't matter anyway. If someone has a coral that you like, buy it. Who cares where it came from? I think all of this started a few years back when certain "coral farmers" started naming corals and calling them LE this and LE that just to inflate the prices and hype it up so they could make more money. I can see the need to see a pic of the colony that a frag came from so you can see what the coral will theoretically look like, but unless you are duplicating the conditions that the mother colony is in it is quite likely that the coral in your tank will look somewhat different.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all of it is hype and is totally unnecessary in this hobby. I have never liked the whole lineage game. There is absolutely no way to prove any of it and in my opinion it doesn't matter anyway. If someone has a coral that you like, buy it. Who cares where it came from? I think all of this started a few years back when certain "coral farmers" started naming corals and calling them LE this and LE that just to inflate the prices and hype it up so they could make more money. I can see the need to see a pic of the colony that a frag came from so you can see what the coral will theoretically look like, but unless you are duplicating the conditions that the mother colony is in it is quite likely that the coral in your tank will look somewhat different.

+1!

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I do echo the posts above, I do think certain corals ARE worth the price. Like a bounce shroom from WWC.

But for sticks and others, it is so hard to figure out where they are coming from. IMO, if I were to buy a RR acro - I would buy it directly from RR and not other vendors who may claim they have some sticks from RR. Just too much middlemen in the game which I do not get...

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think lineage is important to grow out the most beautiful corals and adapt them to captivity some the most beautiful pcs have been in hobby for 10 yrs ? Maybe more
Pink lemonade
Oregon tort
Purple monster
That being said the JJ is still unproven but if it is grown out and looks 1/2 as good as those pics I'll be on the look out for one when the price comes down which eventually it will

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whomever was the first person to sell a half inch frag of anything, for $500 should be beat and publicly humiliated. Names are stupid, is it a coral that you have seen grow into a colony that you like? Then buy it, if not, leave it alone. Do I have some expensive corals in my tank, you bet, do I care at all what the names are, not in the slightest. They had colors that I wanted in my tank, and that was it. People that play the name game with coral, are just like the people that were responsible for the housing market to crash in 2007.

AJ_Tsin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see the RR USA version...

Probably won't ever now unless someone who bought it posts it , RR USA account seems to be banned and gone from here based on some comments posted in the Two Guys Thread the other day...

Seems things escalated very quickly.

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably won't ever now unless someone who bought it posts it , RR USA account seems to be banned and gone from here based on some comments posted in the Two Guys Thread the other day...

Seems things escalated very quickly.

There were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of the JD that the person who bought one of the 2 original pieces in that first pic RR posted of the JD. She evens states that it looks just like the original pic but the red isn't nearly as dominate as in the RR pic

Attachments

• 1408384110641.jpg
    1408384110641.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 580

Zippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless coming from original source there is no way to trace lineage in an undisputed way. After that it amounts to "he said,she said" which some call gossip. I find no interest in it.

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to LPS's question. In my opinion, this whole mess of drama hasn't changed the value of the coral. It was already at the highest end of the spectrum. It's really hard to shell out more that $1,000 + for something the size of a 3 year old pencil anyway. While the "mother" colony did die it has been propagated enough to more than make up for the loss. The scarcity/rarity card has already been played and factored into the cost. From what I've seen in person and heard from others is that the JD is a good grower. Give it a few more months and I'm sure there will be a few people selling on R2R trying to recoup their initial "investment".

All that being said I can only imagine that the value declines with time. The higher the initial price the faster the decline. Remember when there were only a couple of rainbow chalices? Those prices have dropped significantly

Last edited:

ctsps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a jd frag,and i do, you dont want someone selling like corals and taking the value away from your frag that you paid to much for,lol

Zippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a jd frag,and i do, you dont want someone selling like corals and taking the value away from your frag that you paid to much for,lol

I buy coral cause I like them.....not their cost. You just gave into the whole "buy for price, not buy for like" issue. Maybe buy a coral cause it looks great and meets a price that is comfortable to the risk of loss. Besides.....what's in a name? How are you going to really justify lineage other than your word? I've never met you nor most on this forum. Not stirring the pot but let's be real about this. If you were to document your coral frags genetic blueprint you may have something to say.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you going to really justify lineage other than your word? I've never met you nor most on this forum. Not stirring the pot but let's be real about this. If you were to document your coral frags genetic blueprint you may have something to say.

he bought it direct from two guys corals - i facilitated the sale to him and have a picture of his frag in the guys' possession before it was sold to him.

cheers!
ben

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back