ORA German Blue Polyp Acropora

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what species this coral is? Post pictures if you have it!

I have a nice size colony I've been growing out for years, it's more colorful now than it's ever been, I need to take some shots of it.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK! I found after a deep search on the internet an old picture of my German Blue Polyp Acrpora :)

I almost lost it at one point, this picture is all the way back from 2009! It had almost completely died off during a tank move into my house in 2010. After that point I mounted it sideways then it grew up from there into a decent size colony. I guess it had OK color back then, now it's really popping the nice green colored base. Still one of the coolest acroporas out there.

German_Blue_Polyp_Acro_by_Logzor.jpg

Last edited:

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is one coral i have managed to hold on to over the course of many major ups and downs as a hobbyist and a vendor! The german blue an dI blue have some history!

I got my original frag after a private tour of the fosters facility in rhienlander in 07 just after it was rereleased and not long after retired by ora. I think the rumor was that they had lost the mother but i have heard a few conflicting tales. doesn't really matter. This is a really old and terrible pic but it was in its glory long before she became frag stock:(

I have probably sold more frags of this coral stretching back to 07-08 than any other coral. if you have the real german blue. its very possible it can be traced back to me. lol but enough grandstanding :blah:

sorry for the blaring watermark

germanbluepolyp_zps0aeb241c.jpg

you'd either laugh or cringe if you saw what this thing has been reduced too after years of abuse and over fragging.....

Last edited:

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that coral, used to have one long ago from Dr.Foster's.. That think could take a licking and keep ticking...

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
logzor did you get yours from av99? i have to agree how tough this coral has been in my tank. it was one of three corals that survived my tank wipe out. i am getting good growth and green coloration but lacking the blue polyps. the extension is good just not blue. any ideas why?
tks
jeff

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
logzor did you get yours from av99? i have to agree how tough this coral has been in my tank. it was one of three corals that survived my tank wipe out. i am getting good growth and green coloration but lacking the blue polyps. the extension is good just not blue. any ideas why?
tks
jeff

Hey Jeff - Yep I picked my GBP from AV99 many years ago. Check for red bugs on your coral, they love the GBP in particular (smooth skin). This may help with your polyp extension if you kill them off with interceptor. Also, try running heavier on actinic lighting. I recently changed around my T5 bulb configuration, removing 3 blue+ and replacing them with 3 pure actinic. To make up for less PAR I increased my light cycle by a few hours. In total I have 7 T5 bulbs, the rest are a mix of Blue+ (3) and Purple+ (1).

Since making this change my acropora have developed better PE and intensified in color and overall health. I'm not sure how to explain it, but switching out to heavier actinic has totally changed my aquarium for the better.

Last edited:

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i also got mine from tim years ago. it got wiped down to just encrustation and now is about a dozen or more 1 in branches. my extension is good but lacks the blue. i am running leds. i am set up to supplement with 2 60in t-5 but currently not using them. i have been thinking of adding some blue plus bulbs but maybe i should change my thinking.
tks jeff

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also got mine from tim years ago. it got wiped down to just encrustation and now is about a dozen or more 1 in branches. my extension is good but lacks the blue. i am running leds. i am set up to supplement with 2 60in t-5 but currently not using them. i have been thinking of adding some blue plus bulbs but maybe i should change my thinking.
tks jeff

I also run some LED lighting. I have two 48" XHO blue reefbrite strips that I run for my entire light cycle. This is mostly supplementation as most of my PAR comes from the T5. So your setup is kind of the opposite of mine if you had your T5's running. If you were to turn on the T5's I would pop in some pure actinics and run those your entire light cycle. I personally believe that LEDs can easily be overkill on lighting, so you probably only need some supplementation and the blue+ will not be necessary. I also believe there is merit to running pure actinic that is irrelevant of PAR.

Last edited:

xtlosx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given a tiny frag of German Blue some time ago, and it has been tough through my tank issues. Recently, things are now good and it's encrusting nicely, has good blue polyps, but the green body is light, but so far looks good. I recently realized my tank wasn't receiving half of the lighting intensity it needed and have slowly been ramping it up over the course of a month and it's getting better color. Overall, very happy to have this one in my system, the encrusting pattern is kinda strange though. It's gotten onto the plug, but it's going out like a flat table off of the plug!

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one coral i have managed to hold on to over the course of many major ups and downs as a hobbyist and a vendor! The german blue an dI blue have some history!

I got my original frag after a private tour of the fosters facility in rhienlander in 07 just after it was rereleased and not long after retired by ora. I think the rumor was that they had lost the mother but i have heard a few conflicting tales. doesn't really matter. This is a really old and terrible pic but it was in its glory long before she became frag stock:(

I have probably sold more frags of this coral stretching back to 07-08 than any other coral. if you have the real german blue. its very possible it can be traced back to me. lol but enough grandstanding :blah:

sorry for the blaring watermark

germanbluepolyp_zps0aeb241c.jpg

you'd either laugh or cringe if you saw what this thing has been reduced too after years of abuse and over fragging.....

Wow. Just beautiful!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back