Clown goby is not safe

Ericsch333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the rookie mistake of taking a fish from a friend and not looking it up first. I added the clown goby and the next day's all of my sps coral where closed I started to panic and did a small water change but it seemed nothing I did helped so I woke at 1.00 am and got the flashlight and I saw the goby picking on the coral. Well 4 hours later and removing a lot of rock he out. This was a hard lesson learned. I am not sure my rainbow milli will recover.

big blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
normally they nest in sps corals but they usually will not destroy the colonies and only pick one colony they are going to nest in at a time. they pick here and there but it would take a while before the killed anything im sure your corals will recover

OP
OP
Ericsch333

Ericsch333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I thought but my rainbow milli is so rainbow anymore

imarkspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol same thing just happen to me. I wanted to smack my self . They feed on the mucus and polyps of sps

Seagars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2. how can i get rid of them without taking all the rock out?

Kennyb1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh god I just dealt with this. The only way you can escape total sps destruction is if your sps tank is massive lol. I had a citron goby and a watermelon goby cause massive amounts of damage leading to stn. The citrons are easy... Just catch them when they sit on the glass. The clown goby's on the other hand are a little trickier do to they're size. I was lucky because the watermelon liked to take refuge in a large birdsnest colony I have. So I chased him in there and took the colony out and dropped him in the water. My advice is get under him with a net if you can(this comes from years of working in a fish store) and away from the rock. And yes they do "nest" in sps but it's also part of their diet in nature. Mine managed to cause stn on several 4-5in colonies in a matter of a month. They only reason they didn't go sooner is because my girlfriend added and named the citron goby... Now "Alan" has his own 30 gallon ZOA and a can dominant reef. -.-

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a copper band that eat my clam, then i got long spine urchin that nibbles on my sps.

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you shared this it might save others from making the same mistake

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back