How Do I Kill an Acro? (No, I'm not mentally insane!)

Italeri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably all thinking I am crazy with this post, but I have two nuisance acro pieces that I am not able to take out of the tank because they have scrolled across the rock. I cant take the rock out because it is a base rock piece, and these acros are taking up crucial rock space that I can use for other frags! Both of these acros I've had for over a year now, and they have colored up to a dull brown, and a dull green, so not pleasing to the eye!

I hate to do this, but the only option is to purposely kill them without doing something extreme to harm my other SPS..

So anyway, my question is how can I kill these off so I can safely put other SPS frags to grow there without having to battle the dull acros?? I have already tried spraying boiling water on them using a syringe, and I even went to the extreme of taking a screwdriver to scratch the crap out of the pieces, and they still came back and are healthy as ever... I never thought I would have a problem killing an acro because of how susceptible they are to slight changes in parameters.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd cut what I could off of the rock and then just turn the powerheads off and make a Kalk paste and cover them up for a short period of time. The PH change should burn them and hopefully you'll get the end result you are looking for.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add another rock and put it overtop of the encrusted coral to shade it out. Seems like you may have to do some aquascaping if its really spread around.

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just look at it the wrong way or mention going out of town.....[emoji12] [emoji3] [emoji3]

Montireef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provide better light and/or parameters and that dull acro will probably turn into a nice jewel.
There are not ugly acros, just bad conditions that turn them undesirable. I'm sure that if you announce you are giving it away, more than one will knock at your door with good cutting pliers on his hand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back