birds nest help please

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it seems to be growing like crazy with nice PE but it seems only the tips are green and the rest of the BN is brown. i had is placed up high in my tank and it was bleaching, i then moved it mid level where it browned up and got PE.

i have a diy leds with 64 3 watt bulbs. 11" off the surface with 80deg optics.

test water in a few will get back with numbers.

all other corals are doing great, my plate coral has good growth and color.

temp 77.8
ph 8.5

salt 1.025

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank a photo thatll help us best determine Whats. Going on.bere. lots of people have had problems with bleaching with leds. Others have successfully used leds and got amazing color out of their corals. This is why u cant cheap out on leds

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0037.jpg

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the dead tip is because my urchin knocked over the BN and that tip was in the sand for a day while i was at work

Rpujol85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be it is just me but I think birdsnests don't do there best under LEDs. I had the same experience with mine.

Back before when I had crappy 1watt LEDs the same piece was green on green. With the 3 watters I'm either bleaching the skin leaving white skeleton with green polyps or (placed lower) brown skin with green polyps. Can't seem to find the happy medium.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be it is just me but I think birdsnests don't do there best under LEDs. I had the same experience with mine.

Back before when I had crappy 1watt LEDs the same piece was green on green. With the 3 watters I'm either bleaching the skin leaving white skeleton with green polyps or (placed lower) brown skin with green polyps. Can't seem to find the happy medium.

Sounds like mine :(

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having a little trouble with coral under my led as well with browning and such. I lowered my intensity and they are looking better, I checked with par meter and checked where I wanted but I think the led are just so bright and the meter do not measure correctly with led

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay ive done alot of research for you. This is what i came up with many people. Have problem with finding the right lighting with birdsnest this includes people with t5 lighting what usually happens is it bleaches or becomes brown but as it grows it often returns to normal colors at its tips people have fragged it and grown normal colored birdsnest but !! Its def your lighting. Yr other corals look great

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the help really appreciate it. so frag the tips and go from there i guess lol, where i have it now is about 250 par

jerseypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have mine under led hydras at 55% and its doing great.its at the hi
uploadfromtaptalk1412213068040.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1412213100038.jpg
ghest point in my tank.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't frag the tip unless u know what your doing thats just wat people were claiming they do. It still looks like a nice piece tho

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always ask questions before i do anything RR i wouldn't just start fragging and thx for the compliment on the BN, jersey pete right now i have my whites at 55 % and my Blues at 85% with my diy led kit think i should lower the blues? your piece looks great.

jerseypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55% is the highest my white get. Their at the for 4 hours between 10 & 2. They slowly ramp up and slowly ramp down around 8 im at 80 blue until 11 then lights out. I have it in moderate flow. Im using dosing pumps. My corals really took off after starting using pump. Alk and cal stay at 9 and 450. Its actually a lot larger than the pic . I fraged it in half and put one on either side of the rock. But i think the key is stable parm. All my corals are really starting to grow since steady dosing.

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am 450 cal 9.2 alk 1440 mag. my whites hit 55% at noon and stay that way till 4 then slowly ramp down, blue go to 85% for the same time period , the out by 8pm and blue moon light until the following morning

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back