Butterflys and SPS?

Italeri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had experience with butterfly fish in their SPS systems? I have always liked the butterflys because of their superb colorations. Only thing is, I have been stocking my tank with high end SPS frags.. Dont want the butterflys to kill anything!

lucky7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a major risk, one I wouldn't take. Even if someone says they had success with one type it doesn't mean it won't eat your coral.

OP
OP
Italeri

Italeri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See i was always under the impression that butterflys ate softies and lps.. Am I wrong? I havent done much research on them

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the only butterfly I can recommend for reef tank is the yellow pyramid butterfly. The key to all butterfly and angel are keeping them well fed then they will leave your corals alone.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chelmon butterflies along with forcipiger (longnose and copperband and a couple others) are generally pretty safe with SPS but can occasionally cause problems with fleshy LPS and Zoanthids.

hemitaurichthys (pyramid and zoster) are usually safe with everything, I've heard a couple cases of problems with gorgonians however

Others that are worth a shot for the risky or those good with fish traps include prognathodes species along with roapes (Mitratus, tinkers and burgess)

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also reefsafe with caution are facula butterfly,but every fish is different...

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 yellow pyramid butterfly fish in my sps tank without issue, they are great fish for an SPS Tank

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people keep non reef safe butterflys in SPS systems but I think they intro them after the SPS are mature and very large tank.
If it's a frag my understanding they will nip on SPS frags which they may not live. A big colony being nipped at may be able to live as long as it's not being nipped at too much.
I'm sure a lot depends on how much/what you feed.
Emperor and Regals are a couple of my favorites. I'm too chicken to try it. Maybe down the road.
Edit: oops I was thinking about angelfish :)

Last edited:

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A copperband is prob your best bet.. But you'll need to see it eat with passion...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back