Acropora Color

Schgred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 90 gallon mixed reef. I have various sps corals including birdsnest, montipora, and acropora. All but two of my sps are doing well. And both are Millepora. My garf bonsai acro and my Oregon tort acro are growing and look great. For some reason my rose Millepora and blue millepora have lost their color. They have great polyp extension and are encrusting fine but aren't growing too well. The biggest concern though is the coloration. They have totally faded. I have them both about 3/4 up the tank. Flow is plenty, and the lighting is strong led. Any reason for this? Parameters are all fine.

OP
OP
S

Schgred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a test kit for those. I'm just dosing c balance which is supposed to help keep mag in check as well.

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encrusting is growth! Can you dip these to see if pests are involved? LEDs can spotlight white light in places, and maybe cause bleaching. I had 30 degree optics on some 3 watt Crees 20 inches above a euphylia tank, and they started bleaching. I removed the optics, and lowered it a little closer, and the color came back. This reminds me that I need to remove the optics from the white LEDs on some of my fixtures to spread out the white light.

OP
OP
S

Schgred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encrusting is definitely growth. The rose millepora is also growing branches, but the color is weak. You'd think that if the lights were frying the millepora, that it would be frying the montipora or birdsnest wouldn't you?

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have same problem with what was a pink mill when I got it.
I don't have red bugs or aefw and tested K to be normal.
Other pink corals look pink like red planet and strawberry shortcake.
It doesn't get as much flow as the others so I may try moving it. It also gets high light so I may move it down and see what happens. It grows a lot but color is weak.
I've also tried about every expensive supplement known to man and wasted money.

Simonsen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked your nutriens? No3 and Po4 is importante to keep low as posible. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back