Montipora/sps bleaching

capchad03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having trouble with all dod I put into my tank. I'm getting bleaching within 2-3 weeks of putting them in my tank. I have 2 generation 2 radions over a 30x30x52 200 gallon tank. I have lowered my lights from 70% to 60% and am currently at 40%. I am wondering if my lights are still too bright and I'm not realizing it. I'm beginning to think I need to switch lighting because I am getting really frustrated. My tank is over a year old and keep my params stable. If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated. Here are my parameters:

Calcium: 430
Alkalinity: 9.7
Magnesium:1400
Phosphate: .05-.08
Nitrates:1-2
Salinity: 1.024-1.025
Temperature: 77.5-78.5

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of the bleaching coral? Are they fading in color all around or is it more like spots of white? What types of different coral do you have in the tank and how are they doing.Also have you checked Ammonia levels?

OP
OP
capchad03

capchad03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both montipora (sunburst and season greetings) are fading/turning white.

I have 2 mushrooms, a birdsnest, garf bonsai, and 5 small colonies of zoas all are doing ok at the moment.

I can get some pictures later today. I haven't checked ammonia, I didn't think I could still have an issue with ammonia after I've been set up over a year. I'll get back with the pics and test results.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high above tank are lights? I would drop whites down even more the white light from leds can be very intense. Hang lights at least 12" above tank also what optics are your lights running the narrower the optics the more intense the light

OP
OP
capchad03

capchad03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both of my blue lights running 100% my whites are running 40% with a total output of 40%. The lights are mounted 15 inches above the water service. I have the TIR lenses.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you believe the light is causing the bleaching I would turn down your blue LED's.Have you tired placing your new arrivals at the bottom of your tank and then slowly moving them up?

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Hang lights at least 12" above tank also what optics are your lights running the narrower the optics the more intense the light
Good point.I experienced less bleaching when the optics were removed from my LED's.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what are tir lenses? It is how they are focused. Do you know what the focal angle is? 60,90,120.

OP
OP
capchad03

capchad03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked it up, they are 80 degree lenses. I'm very interested. Did you have success with taking the lenses off spreading the light?

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would turn them down a little further maybe to 25-30%. 80 deg focal is pretty intense

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked it up, they are 80 degree lenses. I'm very interested. Did you have success with taking the lenses off spreading the light?
. Yes ,in my experienceence with my brand (Ocean Revive) and model of LED's.I don't know if it is possible with your particular fixture.I have a larger spread of light and I can use my fixture at full power.

OP
OP
capchad03

capchad03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. I will try them at 20-25% and then remove lenses if I still have troubles.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm interested, so i checked my lights and they are 60 optics.
So that means they are intense?
I run them at most 80% blue and max 50% white... but i dont get full coverage... 72" long tank and I run 2 lights...
If i remove the lenses i would get more coverage? and i can bump up the lights?
Im sure with the lenses off and bulbs exposed i could get corrosion right?

Most of my LPS are doing great. My acan has receded some though and i did bleach my acro.
My hammers, frogs, torch, clams, and my nems love the light though. But i have dark corners.

These are my lights
HYDRA Series « FathomLED

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. I will try them at 20-25% and then remove lenses if I still have troubles.
Keep in mind that opening up your fixture may void any manufacturers warranty you my have.I wish you luck and look forward to some pics!

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm interested, so i checked my lights and they are 60 optics.
So that means they are intense?
I run them at most 80% blue and max 50% white... but i dont get full coverage... 72" long tank and I run 2 lights...
If i remove the lenses i would get more coverage? and i can bump up the lights?
Im sure with the lenses off and bulbs exposed i could get corrosion right?

Most of my LPS are doing great. My acan has receded some though and i did bleach my acro.
My hammers, frogs, torch, clams, and my nems love the light though. But i have dark corners.

These are my lights
HYDRA Series « FathomLED
I don't know about your optics.Corrosion could definitely be a draw back of removing the lenses.It could also ruin your fixture,so please be careful if you decide to do so.Your unit may not be as user serviceable as mine.However,I am pleased with the results of my optic free lighting.The only dark corners are under frag racks and I can use it at max power.

OP
OP
capchad03

capchad03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I m thinkjng of putting a lexan cutout in place of the lenses to prevent salt air getting in the unit

Saltwater gardens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you need is a PAR meter, isnt obvious? How could you determine if they are getting too much light by observation only.

Back