ORA Red Planet Bleaching Help

deznuttz4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently retrofitted my 29G biocube with a Steve's LED kit and I added my first SPS coral ever. I'm new to SPS and everything in my tank looks amazing except the Red Planet.

I started my lighting at 25% and increased it to 30% intensity and it's not looking great. The back half of the coral is entirely white and the front is a light red with no extensions at all.

The light is *14,000K Full Specturm JMB Special - LEDs included 4x 4,000K, 4x Lime, 14x Royal Blue, 6x Cool Blue.

I have two montispora one green and one orange that look fine.

The placement is roughly at the half way mark.

Any help would be appreciated.

THX

h2pvnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your water parameters. Does your Red Planet previously came from strong lightning such as MH or T5. 30% is low for them I have mine all the way to the top with 2 ATI Coral + and Maxspect Razor 160W 50% on Channel A and 70% on Channel B

OP
OP
D

deznuttz4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your water parameters. Does your Red Planet previously came from strong lightning such as MH or T5. 30% is low for them I have mine all the way to the top with 2 ATI Coral + and Maxspect Razor 160W 50% on Channel A and 70% on Channel B

I kept the light low because I just introduced the LED kit. I didn't want to shock what I had in there. I just adjusted it to 35% intensity from 30. I have a 9 hour light cycle with a 2 hour sunrise and sunset.

I just did a water change a few hours ago. I will check the parameters tomorrow and report back.
Thx for the quick response.

h2pvnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept the light low because I just introduced the LED kit. I didn't want to shock what I had in there. I just adjusted it to 35% intensity from 30. I have a 9 hour light cycle with a 2 hour sunrise and sunset.

I just did a water change a few hours ago. I will check the parameters tomorrow and report back.
Thx for the quick response.

Where is your Red Planet came from? Does it has white area at the bottom?

Last edited:

h2pvnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it from my LFS. They said it was an ORA red planet. The plug has green on it but the base is definitley a little white.

It might has STN because It does not recieve enough light. When i got my Red Planet I still keep the light setting but I put it at bottom for two weeks then I moved it all the way to the top

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan on keeping SPS coral you need to be aware of alk/calcium/magnesium paramaters when you post, not to mention specific gravity and nutrient levels. There are many factors at play here; it would be absolutely impossible for anyone to accurately diagnose the problem based on the information you have provided... Not even a picture. In my years of keeping SPS under LEDS (Various Radions) I have concluded that people make way too much of light shock/ light acclimation and use it as a convenient hypothesis for failure to keep specimens (specifically sps) alive.

OP
OP
D

deznuttz4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might has STN because It does not recieve enough light. When i got my Red Planet I still keep the light setting but I put it at bottom for two weeks then I moved it all the way to the top

Any advice on what I should do if I do have STN?

OP
OP
D

deznuttz4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan on keeping SPS coral you need to be aware of alk/calcium/magnesium paramaters when you post, not to mention specific gravity and nutrient levels. There are many factors at play here; it would be absolutely impossible for anyone to accurately diagnose the problem based on the information you have provided... Not even a picture. In my years of keeping SPS under LEDS (Various Radions) I have concluded that people make way too much of light shock/ light acclimation and use it as a convenient hypothesis for failure to keep specimens (specifically sps) alive.

I checked the parameters today after my 5g water change last night.

Salinity 1.023
PH - 8
ALK - 3.99
MG - 1300
CA - 440

h2pvnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the parameters today after my 5g water change last night.

Salinity 1.023
PH - 8
ALK - 3.99
MG - 1300
CA - 440

Your salinity is low should be 1.026 , Mag should be 1350 to 1450, and your Alk is way way low try bring it back to 8-9 and keep it stable within .08. Also do bot dump all the alk in at once you will kill everything in there. Do it slow but must bring it back up ASAP. What is your nutrients level at?

Last edited:

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That alk # is low! But I'm no guru. Lol. Hopefully someone else will chime in on best ways to raise it slowly and get your coral back to good health

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would retest though before going crazy. Have your lfs test also. Just to make sure.

OP
OP
D

deznuttz4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your salinity is low should be 1.026 , Mag should be 1350 to 1450, and your Alk is way way low try bring it back to 8-9 and keep it stable within .08. Also do bot dump all the alk in at once you will kill everything in there. Do it slow but must bring it back up ASAP. What is your nutrients level at?

whats a bot dump or was that a typo? What other nutrients?

OP
OP
D

deznuttz4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

h2pvnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back