polyp extension?

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, what do you think is the most contributing factor in great p/e? Water quality, flow, lighting or a combination of things? My extension is pretty good but I always think it could be better.
thanks
Jeff

bigsby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low phosphate, high flow, adequate, light, and superb water quality. Stability is most important. IMO

Last edited:

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish selection is a big factor in polyp extension. Even fish you would never think to nip at corals will do it when you're not looking, for example I was having zero polyp extension and couldn't figure it out, one day I caught my baby blue tang nipping at a coral. I got rid of the tang and within a week or so all Acros were showing great polyp extension.

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never seen any of my fish nip at any of the corals. I have been dosing lanthium chloride and it has really turned around my tank. What will the tell take signs be when I get the phos. too low? I dont have any hair algae but do have some cyno growing on my sand bed. some of my corals have pretty good extension but my purple plasma who is somewhat know for good extension pretty much doesnt have any extension. My colors are good though.
thanks
Jeff

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me PE and growth really took off when I went BB, started running BP, dosing amino acids, and target/broadcast feeding with nutri-cell.

Stoneyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water was too clean. Sticks were brown and no pe. Removed mechanicals like sponges and filter flosses. Added a few more fish. An extra feeding daily. Shut skimmer down during twilight hours. Altarget nitrates at 1-2. Phos 0.05. Now sticks glow with color. Some so hairy you cant tell what color they are. Just my experience. I took these measures from someone in this forum about 6 months ago.

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a LNS and had great PE. I also am dealing with a now high po4 reading(2-3.0) I mean high and tho I am loosing pieces due to the sudden change. Stability is key. With my high p04 There are certain pieces that are loving it others no. more to the story there tho. Color - for those that can handle the high #'s are awesome and pe is acceptable. I get my best results around a .03-.07 reading in the p04 department when it comes to sps pe.

factors- all depends on the piece when it comes to flow light and such....
take garf bonsai - best in low light par( I can show you a 900 par garf pe that blows the water out of the tank.lol) Ya never know individualy. Awesome when you see a full spread tank that has acrossed the board out of control acro pe

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are having high phos problems you need to look into lanthanum chloride. My tank was a forest of hair algae and all my sps were slowly dying and experiencing stn. After dosing the lanthanum i have a tank that is 99% free of hair algae and my new frags have great color with so so growth. Most of my corals have good extension but for a select few.
Jeff

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back