Does Having SPS Make You An Advanced Reefer?

Does Having SPS Make You An Advanced Reefer?

• Total voters

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does having SPS in your reef tank, make you an advanced reefer?

Check yes or no and tell why in a comment below.

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It totally depends on what kind of SPS, how much, and how much growth you get. Anyone can throw a sps frag in a tank.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's safe to save that if you have been able to keep large acropora colonies for 5 years or more you are an advanced reefer. That's not to say that if you haven't done that, then you're not one. Keeping some zoanthids and even some LPS and especially NPS corals is extremely difficult to do long term. Every persons definition of advanced is different.

Last edited:

Vmacisback

Vern McCalla
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it makes you advanced but I do think it makes your more accountable in some ways. SPS are usually a bit of an investment than some of the other corals and with this comes a responsibility to maintain your reef with probably more attention and diligence. I know I was upset when my first SPS frag died and I went to great lengths to figure out how to not let that happen and I guess you could say it turned me into an advanced reefer.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes but I don't think keeping sps make you more advanced than someone who doesn't. It just takes more work to keep sps so to me that makes is more advanced. Someone keeping NPS or breeding fish may be considered more advanced than keeping sps.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna vote no, I feel keeping SPS is as simple as testing frequently, I spend a lot of time monitoring my alk levels and adjusting my dosing pump. Other than that, it's a filter sock change every 3 days, water change once a week and change out gfo every 3 weeks. See so simple everyone can do it! I've been creating an sps dominant tank since day 1 2.5 years ago and this is my first ever saltwater tank.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me just keeping coral does not make you advanced anymore even Sps.. There are so many advances in Technology now it is not too hard to keep most corals..

To me advanced is knowing the biology behind what’s in our tanks and know how to react when something goes wrong and being able to keep a thriving reef tank many years..

You see lots of beautiful tanks nowadays that are around 3 to 5 years old but not many longer than that. Then these people disappear and are never heard from again….

Its all about biology...

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here's the thing, if you asked if keeping SPS is more advanced than LPS or zoas I would have voted yes. However you asked if it bakes you an "Advanced Reefer" so I voted no...

An Advanced Reefer has successfully kept multiple different types of corals including Zoas, LPS, SPS, NPS and possibly even the decorative sponges. An advanced reefer understands the more advanced topic of the reefing hobby like the relationship between the chemical parameters we all shoot for. Everyone has a target and can add solution to get there, an advanced reefer will know why something isn't increasing as fast as it should. An advanced reefer has personal experience on how to treat different tank pests, fish diseases and coral ailments. This advanced reefer has these solutions at the tip of their tongue ready to provide this information where the situation calls for it. An advanced reefer has dabbled in multiple different tank methods or tank equipment and knows the benefits of each device in each ecosystem. Finally an advanced reefer is one who "normal" reefers can look up to and trust their judgement when they give advice because they know the past accomplishments of said advanced reefer.

For example, I am what I would call a "Normal" reefer. I can successfully keep SPS, LPS, NPS, Zoas, and softies without many issues. I have dabbled in different lighting technologies and tried some of the newer methods of reef keeping. However my advice is based on personal experience and should be taken with a grain of salt. Verify what I say and feel free to refute the opinion with your opinion or even better, facts!

A second example would be Randy. I consider him to be an advanced reefer with solid expert strength in chemistry on top. He always has good advice and to be honest, if he said to do something chemistry related I would follow without question. That's because I trust his judgement and his knowledge on the hobby.

I would have to say 85% of the reefers on this site and 95% of the reefers not on this site I would put in the normal or newbie categories. What you keep or years in the hobby do not make you advanced. Knowledge and wisdom related to the hobby gets you that title.

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS is such a wide category. Look at Goniopora. Though classified as LPS, it has care requirements even advanced aquarists struggle with. So to answer the question: No, SPS is too wide a category. If you had said Acropora millipora or Acropora in general then perhaps.

PCygni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orange monti digitata grows like a weed and my acans die every time -- 'course I am just a hack....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here's the thing, if you asked if keeping SPS is more advanced than LPS or zoas I would have voted yes. However you asked if it bakes you an "Advanced Reefer" so I voted no...

An Advanced Reefer has successfully kept multiple different types of corals including Zoas, LPS, SPS, NPS and possibly even the decorative sponges. An advanced reefer understands the more advanced topic of the reefing hobby like the relationship between the chemical parameters we all shoot for. Everyone has a target and can add solution to get there, an advanced reefer will know why something isn't increasing as fast as it should. An advanced reefer has personal experience on how to treat different tank pests, fish diseases and coral ailments. This advanced reefer has these solutions at the tip of their tongue ready to provide this information where the situation calls for it. An advanced reefer has dabbled in multiple different tank methods or tank equipment and knows the benefits of each device in each ecosystem. Finally an advanced reefer is one who "normal" reefers can look up to and trust their judgement when they give advice because they know the past accomplishments of said advanced reefer.

For example, I am what I would call a "Normal" reefer. I can successfully keep SPS, LPS, NPS, Zoas, and softies without many issues. I have dabbled in different lighting technologies and tried some of the newer methods of reef keeping. However my advice is based on personal experience and should be taken with a grain of salt. Verify what I say and feel free to refute the opinion with your opinion or even better, facts!

A second example would be Randy. I consider him to be an advanced reefer with solid expert strength in chemistry on top. He always has good advice and to be honest, if he said to do something chemistry related I would follow without question. That's because I trust his judgement and his knowledge on the hobby.

I would have to say 85% of the reefers on this site and 95% of the reefers not on this site I would put in the normal or newbie categories. What you keep or years in the hobby do not make you advanced. Knowledge and wisdom related to the hobby gets you that title.

That's a good way to see it.

What's an advanced reefer???
"Advanced" - Being at a higher level than others
"Reefer" - One who reefs; one who keeps a reef tank

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me just keeping coral does not make you advanced anymore even Sps.. There are so many advances in Technology now it is not too hard to keep most corals..

To me advanced is knowing the biology behind what’s in our tanks and know how to react when something goes wrong and being able to keep a thriving reef tank many years..

You see lots of beautiful tanks nowadays that are around 3 to 5 years old but not many longer than that. Then these people disappear and are never heard from again….

Its all about biology...
I think it deals more with chemistry than biology. You can know the biology but it would be fatal to not know the environment which deals with knowing chemistry.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its all about biology...

+1 You win internets. :cheer2::hug:

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back