What is on my monti?!?

Omega0397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, I was looking at my sunset monti and noticed that there were white "fluffy" spots all over it. I have no idea what these are, where they came from, or how they appeared so suddenly. Could anyone enlighten me?

cvysochin

View Badges
Reaction score
Oak View, CA 93022- about 15 min from Ventura
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When some corals stress out they produce these little things. I'm not sure of the actual term but I just call them their "guts". :)

Did you do anything drastic or something fluctuated recently? Once things settle down it will go back to normal, if it hasn't already.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
O

Omega0397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When some corals stress out they produce these little things. I'm not sure of the actual term but I just call them their "guts". :)

Did you do anything drastic or something fluctuated recently? Once things settle down it will go back to normal, if it hasn't already.

Hope that helps.

Interesting, I never thought of that. Would this happen even when the rest of the colony seems happy? I mean, i see these "guts" but the color of the colony is fine and the polyps all extend like they should.

niftyjosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesenterial filaments = coral guts

Hope that helps.

cvysochin

View Badges
Reaction score
Oak View, CA 93022- about 15 min from Ventura
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I never thought of that. Would this happen even when the rest of the colony seems happy? I mean, i see these "guts" but the color of the colony is fine and the polyps all extend like they should.

Yes it happens anytime they feel the need to produce them. They also can use them to "eat".

Mesenterial filaments = coral guts

I believe that's it! Thanks! :)

OP
OP
O

Omega0397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the scientific name for it, easier to google than "monti guts". Any clue as to why a monti would do this when its coloration is good and it's polyp extension is good as well?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back