• Don't Smoke

Votes: 55 70.5%

• Total voters

treemanone2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do smoke and wash my hands before entering any of my (FW or SW) tanks but I can't say if I've noticed any effects one way or another. I'm going to pm another member that I haven't seen here yet and see if he can weigh in on this subject.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who smoke or VAPE, remember that Nicotine is a poison itself. In fact, its an insecticide. So, using a vaporizer may be a little less bad for your lungs, but you're still ingesting poison every time you do it. And for reefers, I don't think I would want to be pouring an insecticide in my tank all the time.

+1 vape is just as bad , if not worse. just immagine how much more your taking pulls with nicotine compared to a cigarette . some people just dont look at it this way.

anyways im a social smoker, dont smoke while im home, only at work or if im out. and if i were tosmoke before putting my hands in the tank i wash them under water for a minnute, and not only my hands my whole arm, due to any OILS that are on my arm, some people only wash hands and not there arms. cause there arms have allot of oils on them and can cause the watter tension and skimmer to go crazy ./

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that smoking has a bad impact on any of the organisms we keep, but I was a bit surprised with some of the scientific studies that showed effects in aquatic organisms at pretty low levels (potentially attainable with smoking a few cigarettes in a small room with a tank). Whether those translate to organisms we keep is not clear, however. Many, of course, are not impacted until much higher levels (higher than we'd ever obtain in a smokers house).

This summarizes some of the studies:

Nicotine - toxicity, ecological toxicity and regulatory information

For comparison, one cig might contain 9 mg of nicotine, and delivery of that to a tank in a closed room with a skimmer might be pretty effective. It may get metabolized in aquaria, but one might get to as high as 1 ppm (1000 ug/L) in a 100 L tank in a room with a pack a day smoked.

xtlosx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that. I knew I would get some flaming from posting this topic but just wanted to do some investigating. Thanks for the response anyway.

Who knew you'd get a health lesson from a SPS thread? :) When I smoke cigars I generally shower before doing any maintenance on the tank. Who knows what the residue will actually do when washed properly, but in my mind best not to risk it. I've seen no ill effects on the occasion I haven't washed like crazy.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wash my hands with soap like a surgeon any time I'm about to put my hands in the tank. I think it's a good practice whether you're a smoker or not.

duncangweller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to wash my hands with soap before I put my hands in my tank as I don't want soapy residue in my tank. I give them a good rinse in water but generally not soap

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back