• Don't Smoke

Votes: 55 70.5%

• Total voters

Defect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see how many people smoke cigarettes and keep SPS. I think I may not be washing my hands well enough and with all the chemicals in cigarettes it couldnt be good. I never smoke inside but the chemicals are pretty much stuck on your hands as well. Thinking I should throw some shoulder length gloves on while working in the tank.

If you do smoke and keep sps what is your procedure before sticking your hands in the tank?

Last edited:

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I dont smoke inside but If i do have a smoke and know im working in the tank i rinse my hands with hot water for a couple of mins. I also try to use the hand that i didn't hold my cig with to reach into the tank if I have to do that..

OP
OP
Defect

Defect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I dont smoke inside but If i do have a smoke and know im working in the tank i rinse my hands with hot water for a couple of mins. I also try to use the hand that i didn't hold my cig with to reach into the tank if I have to do that..

Yeah I try to do that as well. I did forget a couple times while doing water changes and stuck my hand right in to get some detritus out.

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best solution for your corals health and your is stop smoking. If the chemicals from just your hands are hurting your corals imagine what the chemicals going into your body are doing.

OP
OP
Defect

Defect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best solution for your corals health and your is stop smoking. If the chemicals from just your hands are hurting your corals imagine what the chemicals going into your body are doing.

I understand that. I knew I would get some flaming from posting this topic but just wanted to do some investigating. Thanks for the response anyway.

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I saw those comments coming from a mile away as well. Lol but they right.. Haha

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont smoke but I always have gloves on when my hands go into the tank. The long ones are relatively cheap and I have had the same pair for over a year now.

I do this for this fish but its great to not worry about washing my hands either.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My smoking is good for other peoples health :D

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we're talking cigs and you can't quit then maybe take up vaping. That's what I do because I'm a dirtball too. :)

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to give up one, smoking or sps. Not because of the chemicals though! $$$

I used to smoke in the same small room with my tank and my sps had no issues from it that I could tell.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I never really considered it but...... Gloves and no body lotion either!
Chantix to quit smoking works for some.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a friend with couple tanks crammed into a tiny room in his basement years ago and he would smoke like a chimney down there. I would literally watch plumes of smoke go right into his skimmer intake lol. I though theres no way that can't be doing some harm in some way but besides relatively slow growth his sps always looked amazing Seriously i was always super envious of the deep deep color in his acros.

Id say he wasn't seeing any real issues with it. as odd as it was for me to comprehend.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who smoke or VAPE, remember that Nicotine is a poison itself. In fact, its an insecticide. So, using a vaporizer may be a little less bad for your lungs, but you're still ingesting poison every time you do it. And for reefers, I don't think I would want to be pouring an insecticide in my tank all the time.

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who smoke or VAPE, remember that Nicotine is a poison itself. In fact, its an insecticide. So, using a vaporizer may be a little less bad for your lungs, but you're still ingesting poison every time you do it. And for reefers, I don't think I would want to be pouring an insecticide in my tank all the time.

I agree (even though i am a smoker).. I did vape for 6 months and had no real cigs. But on month 6 my gums got very sensitive and would actually bleed very easily.. I guessing its because I was using vape liquid that was not very high quality and i think the stuff was from China.. Anyway I stopped and my gums were fine after a week. But unfortunately went back to real cigs..

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree (even though i am a smoker).. I did vape for 6 months and had no real cigs. But on month 6 my gums got very sensitive and would actually bleed very easily.. I guessing its because I was using vape liquid that was not very high quality and i think the stuff was from China.. Anyway I stopped and my gums were fine after a week. But unfortunately went back to real cigs..

Smoking is also bad for your teeth and gums. Not trying to be judgmental. I completely understand how hard it is to quit. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances there is.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back