What's the best salt mix for Sps?

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I loved the results of tropic Marin pro, it's a great salt but that's the one that I got 2 bad batches of.. 1 of the 2 bad batches I unfortunately used on my tank and almost lost all my SPS. After I received the second bad batch I switched to reef crystals and haven't gone back.

Kennyb1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using salinity and I think its great. Honestly its hard to beat a guaranteed analysis printed on each bucket. I've heard of a few problems coming from tropic Marin such as low dkh out of the bucket but I've never used it. That esv is pretty interesting looking though!

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me add this... As a newbie to reef aquariums, with a goal of an Sps dominant tank, which would be the simplest and best salt to use? Simplest meaning a salt mix that would help make keeping a successful reef tank easy.

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used all the big name salts, and eventually I switched to regular old instant ocean. I didn't see one difference in my SPS dominant reef tank. My corals look just as good as when I was using Red Sea or tropic Marin. Save yourself some money, and use IO

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the answer to this question is.. There's a bunch of different salts out there. I've seen amazing results from people using the cheapest salts and the most ridiculously expensive.. I think above salt the key to success is good husbandry. Take care of your tank, find a routine that works for you and stick with it. Salt isn't going to be the only ingredient that makes your reef successful. If a cheaper salt it more in your budget for the long term then pick a less expensive salt and try it out for awhile. If money is of no concern then pick a salt with mixed levels that you're looking for.

LPS Hunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what everyone is showing you is that almost any salt can be used to achieve a SPS dominated reef. You could go cost effective and do IO/Reef Crystals or a little higher priced and do Tropic Marin Pro. It comes down to stability of the system first and foremost, and once you start adding an abundance of colorful sticks you will have to add elements to your tank to keep up with the demand. Personally, I would get some easier to care for SPS to start with and learn to master your husbandry/maintenance skills first before jumping into the more expensive SPS.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, thanks, yes I plan to start with the easier ones and take it slow. I'm torn between Red Sea Coral Pro and Reef Crystals, here's why. If paying more for coral pro means that I won't have to figure out what else I need to add to create a nice environment, then I'll do it. Certainly the cost savings AND the better accessibility to reef crystals (lfs) makes it appealing.

LPS Hunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, thanks, yes I plan to start with the easier ones and take it slow. I'm torn between Red Sea Coral Pro and Reef Crystals, here's why. If paying more for coral pro means that I won't have to figure out what else I need to add to create a nice environment, then I'll do it. Certainly the cost savings AND the better accessibility to reef crystals (lfs) makes it appealing.

I can appreciate that, but at some point, if you are successful with SPS...you will almost have to add some type of additive to the tank. Whether it be BRS 2 part, a calcium reactor etc. Here is an example...

I am a budget reefer...I use Reef Crystals and manually dose BRS 2 part in my tank. My SPS grow, not quickly but noticeably on a weekly basis. I have a friend who uses Tropic Marin Pro, Calcium Reactor and other items and sometimes his SPS explode with growth.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a budget reefer...I use Reef Crystals and manually dose BRS 2 part in my tank. My SPS grow, not quickly but noticeably on a weekly basis. I have a friend who uses Tropic Marin Pro, Calcium Reactor and other items and sometimes his SPS explode with growth.

I plan to dose in the future. Would you say his approach is simpler? Does he not use 2 part? I do not plan to use a calcium reactor myself.

LPS Hunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simpler?...from what I have heard, once you get a calcium reactor dialed in, it is pretty much set it and forget it...check on it occasionally obviously. The calcium reactor replaces the 2-part.

A calcium reactor has much more upfront costs involved though.

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moral of the story is stability and husbandry are key. Salt is really just a choice. Dosing or calcium reactor are a must.

Reef crystals grew this
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415421225.355817.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415421225.355817.jpg

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I was secretly hoping you'd say Radions but you had to sneak those t5 in there too. Lol
I'd love to see more overview photos.

My tank is in shambles at the movement. I'm in the process of getting it back on track. It was a busy summer and I didn't have time to care for it.

I love my radion. I'm using the gen 1 right now but I'm going to upgrade to the new gen3 pro in a few weeks.

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Kent Reef Salt for years. I grow sps, lps, softies, mushrooms, polyps and fish. It's the cheapest salt out there and it works just fine. I can't afford that expensive stuff. Lighting, I use a combo of T5's and 6 LED strips, 4 are Current Tru Lumen and 2 Aquaticlife. The two T5's are Coralife T5's (not HO, just T5).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered Red Sea Pro Coral...just a step down in price than Tropic Marin. Just want to make sure I have the absolute best chance of growing SPS.

Dan_k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is any mix that is agreed upon as "best" for any type of reef tank.

Most high quality mixes have pros and cons, and as long as you know what those are and accept them and deal with them (if needed), then all of them can result in very high quality reef tanks. :)

Randy if you don't mind me asking what salt do you use?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back