What's the best salt mix for Sps?

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Red Sea coral pro for three years and I'm happy with it and I think you'll be too. Important thing to remember is to follow the directions in mixing it up. It dissolves quickly and you want to use it within two hrs of mixing it up. If it sits it will precipitate some. I didn't follow this direction and mt mixing buckets and bottles got caked in precipitates. Once I did it quicker no precipitates on bottles. I also dose Ca, Alk amd
Mg from BRS

I was considering trying the esv on next round just for intrigue sake but still considering as I would need to buy a digital scale but I'm hearing great things about the salt mix.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy if you don't mind me asking what salt do you use?
Randy, I as well would love to have you elaborate more on your pro and con views and your choices. This would make a great thread on its own and if you would start one, please pm me that one has been started.

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here.any salt mix that's made for reef aquariums is fine just as long as it has supplements such as calcium, strontium and molybdium and is phosphate and nitrate free. I personally use Kent marine and seachem reef. They work great and I have a bunch of sps especially montipora.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's with the " don't mix more than 4 hours?" Seems strange, doesn't it just keep mixing in the tank once you add it?

I thought you were supposed to keep a pump in a new batch to keep it for long periods if you don't use it right away?

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do about a half cup per gallon, and it's spot on at 1.025
yep. 2.5C per 5G Rodi. Add salt to water with a powerhead going not water to salt and I add half, let it mix and dissolve and then add other half. Usually is dissolved in 30 min.

What's with the " don't mix more than 4 hours?" Seems strange, doesn't it just keep mixing in the tank once you add it?

I thought you were supposed to keep a pump in a new batch to keep it for long periods if you don't use it right away?
it will precipitate if left to long is my impression. These are the mixing instructions from Aviad of Red Sea USA

Coral-Pro salt has elevated levels of Foundation Elements in order to allow accelerated growth in corals.
Therefore when it is not properly mixed it might cause precipitation.
There are a few reasons I can think of that might cause that phenomenon:
1. Stratification of the salt- sometimes when a bucket of salt travels a lot, the shaking and vibrating causes the mix to separate according to grain size.
Dry mixing the salt, by rolling the bucket on the floor for a few minutes, or pouring the dry salt from one bucket to another a few times, will solve this issue.

2. Mixing the salt with pre warmed water.
I recommend mixing at ambient temperature, and then bring the temp. up.

3. The pump you are using might not be strong enough.

4. Adding water to salt and not salt to water- always add the salt slowly to the water.

I think that covers all the options.

I hope I helped.
Keep me posted, tell me what worked for you.
Have a good night,
Aviad

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not exactly sure what "precipitate" means, but I understand it must be something you don't want to happen. When it does, is it obvious?

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can you leave it without a circulating pump, and if so for how long before you use it?

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just means that the solution when not mixed right or sits to long will start to turn solid. With Red Sea coral pro your mixing container will accumulate solid particles and solution will get cloudy. It was never a problem for me but I didn't like looking at the hazy water bottle

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using reef crystals for a few years. Every now and then new batches parameters would differ a bit. I just bought esv to try it out. You mix all the components together yourself, supposedly very consistent. I know a few reefers that uses it and absolutely love it.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem + arm media = 8.7alk wont go over that is perfect for my tank. Can run CA reactor at full blast or halfway alk will stay solid at 8.7 best setup ever.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back