What's the best salt mix for Sps?

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use tropic marine pro and have been very happy with it. Just recently had a bad mix which the pottasium was pretty high which is not the norm with this salt but I guess nobody is perfect. Tropic marine took it very seriously and replaced the bucket.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there's a best, I think it's mostly preference. Though I would say Im partial to the evaporated salts.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evaporated salts?

How did you get Tropic Martin to take care of it? Are you in the states?

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there's a best, I think it's mostly preference. Though I would say Im partial to the evaporated salts.

Some salts like Red Sea, Deltec and Royal Nature are natural salts evaporated from sea water. Other salts are mined from salt mines.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of the last two. A lfs said something to me about Red Sea being impossible to adjust if you need to.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using red sea coral pro for years and also dose 2 part and my parameters are rock solid in my mostly dominate sps tank

CountrySideCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a super dominated sps tank here but I use Red Sea coral pro. In my 7ish years in the hobby/addiction it has been the most consistent salt for me. I briefly experimented with Salinity, reef crystals, and oceanic but came back to Red Sea every time. D-D H2Ocean or tropic Marin pro are the only ones I would consider switching to if Red Sea coral pro was discontinued

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is any mix that is agreed upon as "best" for any type of reef tank.

Most high quality mixes have pros and cons, and as long as you know what those are and accept them and deal with them (if needed), then all of them can result in very high quality reef tanks. :)

mc-cro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its kind of like an oil thread on a motor vehicle forum, everyone has their favorite, but they all work. I have been using IO for about 14yrs, and have never had an issue. I have an SPS tank, run a calcium reactor, and cant frag them fast enough

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a ton of different salts and Reef crystals is my favorite because 1. it doesn't cost a lot and 2. The batches are consistent. My tank has been the victim of a bad batch of salt on several occasions and I've seen 2 of my friends tanks SPS melt before their eyes due to bad salt.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a ton of different salts and Reef crystals is my favorite because 1. it doesn't cost a lot and 2. The batches are consistent. My tank has been the victim of a bad batch of salt on several occasions and I've seen 2 of my friends tanks SPS melt before their eyes due to bad salt.

What kinds were bad?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back