Will lower pH effect acros?

EricTheRed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90G sps only tank and the pH consistently runs 7.9

The house is well oxygenated and I've left all the windows open for days and it doesn't budge.I keep the tank at 78 degrees I've never been one to chase pH but i'm curious if anyone has noticed any long-term effects on their acros running below 8?

Badspstank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH was normaly runs 8.4 added cal reactor it drop to 7.9 no real problems seen.
3 Months ago my PH drop to 6.9 maybe lower all bad.

Last edited:

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acro tank averages about 7.9. I think that it might actually have some up side to it, but I am no reef chemist.

OP
OP
EricTheRed

EricTheRed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. This tank used to run at a solid 8.2 but I re-did everything after a crash and now it likes 7.9. Can't put my finger on it but I'm not too worried, thanks.

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed bad effects starting with loss of color around 7.6-7.7 below that things can go from happy to looking really bad overnight. My montis seem to be more affected to a point. I'm happy as long as mine stays above 7.8

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is always in the 7.85-7.95 range, as my tank is in the basement and even with running a fresh air line to the skimmer, I still can't get much above 8.0. Everything has been fine thus far. From what I've read, chasing pH numbers is a bad idea.

Reef_Lounge_USA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When are you testing your pH? Have you tested just before the lights come on? That would be the lowest point for your pH. As long as it isn't below 7.8 at that time you should be fine. My personal tank suffers from low pH and I use Kalkwasser to keep it from dropping too low and all my acros have done very well.

Try a google search for Randy Holmes Farley Low pH. He wrote a very interesting and helpful article on low pH issues and fixes.

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run mine long term at 7.8 or so with no problems in growth or coloration, Noticed no real difference when I finally got the pH up to 8.2 or higher.

Zachary.gingell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.9 isn't horrible you should be fine but if you want to have it go up attach a reactor to the air intake of your protein skimmer and fill it with cdx media from two little fishies which needs to stay dry so you can use any reactor doesn't have to be water tight you'll notice the change within 15 min works great

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is always in the 7.85-7.95 range, as my tank is in the basement and even with running a fresh air line to the skimmer, I still can't get much above 8.0. Everything has been fine thus far. From what I've read, chasing pH numbers is a bad idea.

Same here, my ph stayed around 7.8-7.9
Now that I use kalk its consistently around 8-8.2. No difference how corals look

shlap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank always used to stay at 7.8/9 and once I got it to 8.2 using using a co2 scrubber my growth took off and I get better polyp extension.

OP
OP
EricTheRed

EricTheRed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.9 isn't horrible you should be fine but if you want to have it go up attach a reactor to the air intake of your protein skimmer and fill it with cdx media from two little fishies which needs to stay dry so you can use any reactor doesn't have to be water tight you'll notice the change within 15 min works great

Interesting, thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, my ph stayed around 7.8-7.9
Now that I use kalk its consistently around 8-8.2. No difference how corals look

Any apparent difference in how fast they grow? Is the alkalinity the same?

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went through my notes, and I dropped alkalinity only 6 weeks after I started using kalk.
So I can't honestly say if it was because ph or alk.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ph is real low it will start to dissolve the acros. But would take a lot to drop it to that level.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went through my notes, and I dropped alkalinity only 6 weeks after I started using kalk.
So I can't honestly say if it was because ph or alk.

OK, thanks. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back