Staghorn (Paletta Pink Tip) Not Branching

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a frag of Paletta's Pink Tip Stag for almost exactly one year now. The first pic is from when I first got it. The second was taken today. The frag looks very healthy with good color but has lost the pink tips. Also, it has gotten much thicker branches but has no branching growth....it literally almost looks exactly the same as when I got it except much thicker.

Is this normal for this coral ? Why are the branches not growing longer only thicker?

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
Jimbo

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing great. The Red Dragon in the first pic has more than doubled in size

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turning green usually has something to do with adjusting to new light before coloring back up. How long have you had that coral?

OP
OP
Jimbo

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color is pretty much dead on except that the pink is gone. It's more yellow than green to my eyes. If I had some branching growth I think the pink would come back. I've had it a little over a year.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck sometimes I find certain sps actually most for me do very little for what seems like forever then all the sudden start to take off!!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It likes to put in a good base before it really takes off and grows into nice thickets from there. You've lost the pink tips because the current branches aren't growing. It grows slower under LEDs also and may not have as pink or extensive tips.

When at it's best the tips will be pink a good 1-1.5" down the branches.

Attachments

• paletta 100714.jpg
    paletta 100714.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,499

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this will sound crazy but I've noticed corals that I leave on the tiles like the one that is on do not grow as good as the ones I break off and glue to the rock. I tested this once with 3 types of frag plugs and 2 placed on rock directly. The ones on the rock started spreading and shooting branches within a month. Others just kinda sat for about 2-4 months and even then growth was very slow. All were placed about same height water flow and lighting. Since then I break off frag plug almost always. I will look for a pic of one coral that is literally growing around a frag plug instead of on it. I noticed the step plugs are the worse ones to use.

See pic of it fanning around plug
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417008883.783241.jpg

jzaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find my acro frags putting down a good base and bulking up (thickening) prior to branching upward growth-depending on the species 3-14 months
before they take off-looks like that is getting ready for the growth spurt-looks good!

OP
OP
Jimbo

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It likes to put in a good base before it really takes off and grows into nice thickets from there. You've lost the pink tips because the current branches aren't growing. It grows slower under LEDs also and may not have as pink or extensive tips.

When at it's best the tips will be pink a good 1-1.5" down the branches.

Beautiful colony. Other than growing much thicker it is putting down a nice base. I think the pink will come back if and when it starts branching...

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful colony big e!

Thanks Pedoconfuego!

Beautiful colony. Other than growing much thicker it is putting down a nice base. I think the pink will come back if and when it starts branching...

Thanks, the thickness is also due to getting heavy flow........so it's making itself more sturdy before it branches. With a lot of acros it's better to lay the frag down on it's side. If you look at most frags when they start to grow all the braching comes from the base and not the single stick.

Once that base spreads out is ready you'll be shocked how many sprouts come shooting up in a short period of time. The new sprouts will be all pink too.

Attachments

• paletta colony.jpg
    paletta colony.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 352

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back