Reef Roids - Is it worth it to Feed SPS - Or will it just Pollute the Tank and Raise Phosphates?

Do you use Reef Roids or Something Similar to Feed your SPS?

• Yes

Votes: 145 75.1%
  • No

Votes: 48 24.9%

• Total voters

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought Reef Roids to Feed my Zoanthid Tank.

I was wondering if itwould be good for my SPS Tank?

Or will it just Pollute the Tank and Raise Phosphates doing more Harm than Good?

I have added a Poll.

Please Participate.

If you use something similar (A Powdered Food - Like Coral Frenzy) please say that you use Reef Roids even though you do not. I assume they are the same thing anyways.

I am trying to see if people use a powdered food like the Reef Roids that I just got or not.

Please Post Why you Use it or Why you Do Not Use It.

Last edited:

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you want answers where people tell you they are using something other than what the are? Doesn't that muddy the waters of information sharing?

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you want answers where people tell you they are using something other than what the are? Doesn't that muddy the waters of information sharing?

Lets say 10 people do the Poll.

5 Do not feed anything.

2 Feed Reef Roids

2 Feed Coral Frenzy

1 Feed Reef Chili

It seems all three foods are the same just a different brand so essentially half the people feed what I asked for but because they did not use the brand I mentioned that I had (Reef Roids) they mark "No I do Not use Reef Roids even though they essentially do use it - Just as a different brand).

Then the end result is 2 Yes and 8 No when really it should be 5 Yes and 5 No.

Does that make sense.

It would give a false reading.

Last edited:

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if they are different, you end up with results that are not true to the question. So it's like asking if my Ford fusion will have trans issues, but for a poll saying everyone with camery should assume that it's the same thing.

The camrey owners say yes. The fusion owners say no. Your results are skewed to yes, but they mean nothing in the context of your intended question.

Just because to u think they are the same doesn't mean they are. You could end up bashing a good product for the sake of another product that could be different. And because the poll is worded as fusion specific that product gets a bad rep.

If you want inclusive answers than the poll isn't about reef roids specifically, so the question needs to be about small particle size dry foods. If you want scenario specific answers than don't violate the premise.

Another way of asking is like I'm ordering from cc in winter is the wise? But if you have ordered from any vendor is winter just answer that they are cc since all vendors are th same... Cc may be awesome, but the other vendors may be bad. So now there is a block of info saying cc is bad.... That is not fair to them.

So no it doesn't make sense.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if they are different, you end up with results that are not true to the question. So it's like asking if my Ford fusion will have trans issues, but for a poll saying everyone with camery should assume that it's the same thing.

The camrey owners say yes. The fusion owners say no. Your results are skewed to yes, but they mean nothing in the context of your intended question.

Just because to u think they are the same doesn't mean they are. You could end up bashing a good product for the sake of another product that could be different. And because the poll is worded as fusion specific that product gets a bad rep.

If you want inclusive answers than the poll isn't about reef roids specifically, so the question needs to be about small particle size dry foods. If you want scenario specific answers than don't violate the premise.

Another way of asking is like I'm ordering from cc in winter is the wise? But if you have ordered from any vendor is winter just answer that they are cc since all vendors are th same... Cc may be awesome, but the other vendors may be bad. So now there is a block of info saying cc is bad.... That is not fair to them.

So no it doesn't make sense.

Fine maybe I should have said fine particle foods (like Reef Roids).

But people will get my point.

Using Coral Frenzy and saying yes to the question is much much better than saying no.

As saying no would make me think that they do not feed the corals anything.

Huge Difference.

People will get what I am trying to say.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never saw a difference in SPS from those red powdery foods such as reef roids, chill, or cyclopeeze. IMO that stuff is good to adding to you nutrient level but not to actually fed coral. I like reef nutrition ROE. It is a larger particle size (cod eggs I believe). You can actually watch certain SPS hold and consume the eggs.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Roids every now and then (mainly if I remember to mix it in lol) I have noticed that my monti seems to grow a lot better and my feather dusters love it.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never saw a difference in SPS from those red powdery foods such as reef roids, chill, or cyclopeeze. IMO that stuff is good to adding to you nutrient level but not to actually fed coral. I like reef nutrition ROE. It is a larger particle size (cod eggs I believe). You can actually watch certain SPS hold and consume the eggs.

If they do not take in powdered foods how would they take in larger ones?

What is the Point of Using Reef Roids if it just Pollutes your System with no Benefits?

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody ever notice any added Algae Problems from using Reef Roids or any other Similar Powdered Foods like Coral Frenzy and Reef Chili?

xtlosx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody ever notice any added Algae Problems from using Reef Roids or any other Similar Powdered Foods like Coral Frenzy and Reef Chili?

None of those foods but I did notice after starting acropower, at small doses at that! My sandbed turned into a green lawn. Heavy GFO, and skimming got rid of it finally, but feeding my fish, keeping them fat and them pooping like machines does the job for me.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae problem here. I stopped using it and am still dealing with some remains from it.

How long did it take you to get Algae Problems?

I have been dosing Reef Roids Twice a Week for 3 Weeks now in Two of my Aquariums and have not Noticed any Extra Algae.

Am I in the Clear or Might I still have a Problem?

I was going to wait 4 Weeks and then decide if I wanted to do Reef Roids in my Other 2 Tanks as well.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes, but I use coral frenzy and the smallest size golden pearls. I also dose acropower daily and manually feed oysterfeast with docs brew eggs and ocean nutrition's instant baby brine shrimp.

jaguars4263

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my sps 3 to 4 times a week with BRS reef chili. And dose Acropower once a week.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these mainly for my one goni. Im sure acans lobos, chalices, zoos, LPs etc all benefit from it but I've never observed any partials being taken in by sps. Algae problems should not be blamed on high nutrients IMO.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my sps 3 to 4 times a week with BRS reef chili. And dose Acropower once a week.

Any problems (Algae, etc. from using Reef Chili)?

I just got some in the mail today from half off black friday.

I am now doing half Reed Roids and Half Reef Chili since a few people recommended that Combo.

But according to Directions Reef Chili says to use about 6 times less than Reef Roids.

Am I going to Pollute my Tank by using equal amounts.

Coral Frenzy recommends about the same Dosage as Reef Roids.

Why does Reef Chili from Bulk Reef Supply recommend so Little compared to the other Brands?

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't answer on my phone. I feed reef chilli, reef roids, mixed in my frozen blend. My frozen blend is all saltwater types of cubes you can buy mixed with extra sheets of algae added, garlic, flake food, a little bit of prosipro. Now all of that is then laid out on a cookie sheet to refreeze and cube fed daily.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back