Salvage bleaching coral

Schgred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up two great sized acropora pieces for really cheap at an lfs. One is an echinata for $5 and another is a larger Aussie colony for $10. They both have bleached parts at the base and other parts of the coral. What is the best way to try to salvage these?

Should I frag all of it to totally get rid of all of the bleached pieces? Should I hope it grows back or assume that it wont? The larger piece is probably 50% bleached.

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up two great sized acropora pieces for really cheap at an lfs. One is an echinata for $5 and another is a larger Aussie colony for $10. They both have bleached parts at the base and other parts of the coral. What is the best way to try to salvage these?

Should I frag all of it to totally get rid of all of the bleached pieces? Should I hope it grows back or assume that it wont? The larger piece is probably 50% bleached.

They are probably either wild pieces or mariculture at best and the reason they were so cheap is because they are just a few weeks (max) away from death. YOu have no idea why they were STN'ing, so the only possible course of action is to frag them, as far above the line of death as you can - salvaging what you can.

If you are lucky and you have really good conditions, they might live.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back