An Almost Successful In Tank AEFW Treatment

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is link to AEFW treatment success we are having for those interested! Very exciting so far!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it killed the AEFW eggs? If not this process would need done several times to break the cycle of reproduction. Possibly a weaker concentration each time? I would assume the small AEFW are easier to kill.

Its great to see a form of in tank treatment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Tank AEFW Successful Treatment

I wonder if it killed the AEFW eggs? If not this process would need done several times to break the cycle of reproduction. Possibly a weaker concentration each time? I would assume the small AEFW are easier to kill.

There was one badly infected Jason Fox Yellow Tips acropora colony that had the base RTN and eggs were then visible. We have left the colony in tact and are watching the eggs daily. We are now on the 9th day and eggs have still not hatched so I am crossing fingers they are DOA. I will certainly keep an eye on them and report back. If the eggs are not effected then the plan is to administer the second treatment 14 days after the first so it will happen again this Thursday evening. Maybe the eggs will not hatch at all!!!!Then after treatment if they still are not hatched we will explore adding fish that could take out the eggs..

OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated in the original thread algae outbreaks are to be expected. We are controlling it the best we can at the time with filter socks, carbon, and heavy wet skimming(actually running about 10 gallons per day wet yucky). We are then adding freshly made salt water to account for the heavy skimming so as to not have large SG swings. After the third treatment I will be able to get a clean up crew back in the tank and all will be well...

OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I plan to use the same strength mixture (1lb KCL per 50gal system water) on the second and third treatments. After seeing the SPS rebound from the treatment in person I have no fears of the strength of the dosage and want to make sure we nail any stragglers that may have made it through the first treatment of possibly eggs that have hatched. We will also do a third treatment 4 weeks after first at same strength.. At least this way we will all have a good plot point to start with.

OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant wait for him to chime in as well!

The process should have been extremely toxic to the fish and several (7 I think) did die as they hid in rock structure and were not able to be found. Only 2 fish are unaccounted for at this time and are probably a big contributor to the new algae bloom as the others were removed after death. 4 fish have lived through the treatment and are eating just fine now and not swimming backward or anything crazy so......we shall see in time

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you saw my question ignore, I see the ration now. Im definitely tired. So one pound per 50g. If I ever get them ill give it a shot

Last edited:

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Tank AEFW Successful Treatment

There was one badly infected Jason Fox Yellow Tips acropora colony that had the base RTN and eggs were then visible. We have left the colony in tact and are watching the eggs daily. We are now on the 9th day and eggs have still not hatched so I am crossing fingers they are DOA. I will certainly keep an eye on them and report back. If the eggs are not effected then the plan is to administer the second treatment 14 days after the first so it will happen again this Thursday evening. Maybe the eggs will not hatch at all!!!!Then after treatment if they still are not hatched we will explore adding fish that could take out the eggs..

That sounds like a great plan. Hopefully it kills the eggs. It would be a great breakthrough being able to completely rid a reef tank of these horrible pests.

OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a great plan. Hopefully it kills the eggs. It would be a great breakthrough being able to completely rid a reef tank of these horrible pests.

Absolutely!! This is the number one reason SPS keepers quit the hobby IMO....

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a new dip treatment as well

That would awesome, after all if we had a dip that killed eggs we wouldn't need an intake treatment. Question is does a quick jump to that high potassium level and then quick back cause harm to frags?

OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would awesome, after all if we had a dip that killed eggs we wouldn't need an intake treatment. Question is does a quick jump to that high potassium level and then quick back cause harm to frags?

I successfully dipped a few frags prior to attempting the full tank treatment and saw the same effects, cloud of AEFW drifting to heaven and no ill effects on the frags. It surely kills during the dip but the eggs really remain the question.

Here is pic of eggs we are currently watching at day 9 with no hatch after 1st treatment..
aefweggsday9.jpg

OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
add more power to the macro lens
here is shot from day 11 (today)

aefwday11.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back