Are my tips bleaching?

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters need for runs of tests done. .

Btw..is that calurpa growing in background?
That could game over tank..

jzaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulpera?=cauperin(spelling)=toxin-always thought that had a negative effect on hard corals?

OP
OP
P

proskier101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its commonly used in refugeiums. i know when it dies it can cause a bio lode. but it sucks up the nitrates in the tank.

jzaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its considered a invasive secondary colonizer that produces a toxin that inhibits or kills corals-not recommended for refugiums there are better macro algae for nitrate reduction-just remembered the seminar at harbor branch-imo I would get it out of your display the amount of carbon you will have to use to control the toxin and discoloration will strip the water of the essential elements-don,t think your going to see to many successful sps tanks with that in there-and as someone else mentioned it will take over your display you can,t trim the runners/holdfasts that are in every nook and cranny-just trying to help you out with facts

OP
OP
P

proskier101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca is 500
Alk dropped back to 107ppm. :/
Mg test should be here tomorrow.

Testing other stuff now (posting now so I dont forget)

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters are all over the place and drop and rise suddenly which is def no good for sps. Sps need a stable environment or you will see little to no growth poor color and/or death of your corals. I get nervous when my alk goes from 8.5 to 9 and if it does I slowly bring it down over a period if time. Your tank looks just from the pic like you have a serious nutrient problem and that caulerpa is so invasive and can let out toxins that can kill your corals. I'm being sincere not harsh but I think you really need to go through some of the sticky threads and get some books on the care of SPS corals before you add anything else

OP
OP
P

proskier101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been doing a lot of reading on them. The alk is confusing me. Calcium is stable, I think I tested nitrates wrong the first time, so those are high but shouldnt affect alk.

Water change will be coming today to try and drop the nitrates. Algae is definatly helped by 12 hours of lighting. I work 11 hours, no excuse though, it needs a timer.

jzaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters are all over the place and drop and rise suddenly which is def no good for sps. Sps need a stable environment or you will see little to no growth poor color and/or death of your corals. I get nervous when my alk goes from 8.5 to 9 and if it does I slowly bring it down over a period if time. Your tank looks just from the pic like you have a serious nutrient problem and that caulerpa is so invasive and can let out toxins that can kill your corals. I'm being sincere not harsh but I think you really need to go through some of the sticky threads and get some books on the care of SPS corals before you add anything else
I would agree with duke62 nobodys being negative just trying to point you in the right direction for long term sucess this is very science based hobby research the requirements needed to sucessfully keep these animals-

OP
OP
P

proskier101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not finding much on the Caulerpa relasing toxins...

A closer look at Caulerpa - common aquarium species and their care

I have caulerpa prolifera, and I am using my google skills to find info about removing it due to toxins and am coming up short.

Even here its he said she said: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-discussion/33003-grape-caulerpa-killing-corals.html

Not trying to be argumentative. But I would like to find something more than "I heard this happens"

The Caulerpa in my pics have been in my tank for about 2 years.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back