Dosing versus old school

sealbeach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been reefing for about 25 years and I am lover everything SPS.... That being said I have used Calcium Reactors the entire time and now I am considering going dosing and using the Balling System. And before everybody tells me to do a search for old postings I want just SPS guys to share there experience bad or good.... As I get older I would love to make reefing a little easier. I am told that a well run dosing system provide a very stable environment for SPS.

I would also like to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of your family and friends.

David

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, I'm a long time refer like you, SPS dominated systems. I've always had tanks 120gals or less so 2 part wasn't very expensive for me, and it does provide a very stable environment. IMO less chance of something going wrong if you have a quality doser. I ran a reactor on an old system for a while and it worked great, but 2 times I had my jbj regulator malfunction and melt my media. I'm sure today there are better regulators but I haven't even considered going back to a reactor. In a large system 300gals + I probably would run a reactor again just for the cost effectiveness.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never run a SPS tank without a CaRx. I have been using the same Korallin since 1998. Easy, stable, cheap and I think that it does a better job with the trace elements.

Either will work, though.

I would not get rid of your CaRx until you have a few months of dosing under your belt. It would cost more to get back in if you decide that you like CaRx better.

OP
OP
S

sealbeach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, I'm a long time refer like you, SPS dominated systems. I've always had tanks 120gals or less so 2 part wasn't very expensive for me, and it does provide a very stable environment. IMO less chance of something going wrong if you have a quality doser. I ran a reactor on an old system for a while and it worked great, but 2 times I had my jbj regulator malfunction and melt my media. I'm sure today there are better regulators but I haven't even considered going back to a reactor. In a large system 300gals + I probably would run a reactor again just for the cost effectiveness.

It is interesting that you feel that larger tanks (mine is 400 gal) would cost more for dosing.... I have not considered the additional cost associated to dosing, A very good point.

OP
OP
S

sealbeach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never run a SPS tank without a CaRx. I have been using the same Korallin since 1998. Easy, stable, cheap and I think that it does a better job with the trace elements.

Either will work, though.

I would not get rid of your CaRx until you have a few months of dosing under your belt. It would cost more to get back in if you decide that you like CaRx better.

I do not plan on getting rid of reactor... I kind of a hoarder, my wife hates that....

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a large system yet so I am following along to see the opinions of others. I dose Calc and ALk using the BRS DIY kit and it works. It keeps all the parameters in a stable level and Im happy right now.

birtikidis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey marry Christmas to you! I'm going to hop and follow along (I'm a lurker, think this is my first ever post), but I want to get into more SPS and I'm weighing the pros and cons myself!

OP
OP
S

sealbeach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little suprised that more people have not shared there experiences in regards to this subject. I think many fellow reefers could benefit from there learning experiences..

Com'on guys share the love...

ReeferBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why dosing, over a cal rx, would make colors better. I ran dosing pumps until my tanks uptake of two part became way too much. After switching to the reactor only difference is all my sticks took off even more

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say Balling, do you mean that specifically, or are you including all two/three part systems?

The number of actual Balling users in the US is pretty small, and may be why the responses are not that high in number.

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a calcium reactor for over 7 years and wouldn't go back to dosing. A reactor is cheap and hands off. Also, seems like when I hear of a tank crash due to an alk overdose, it's from dosing. not from a reactor.

Last edited:

Feathers&Frags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have three tanks and I hand dose each of them. I've never considered a reactor although I have been considering a dosing pump for each. Reason being is the cost. To install calcium reactors on all three tanks would put me over $1k for the initial set-up. Dosing pumps, on the other hand, would be much cheaper. Jebao now has a doser with four pumps that costs $110. I'm not saying reactors don't work. Their effectiveness has been proven over the years. Just saying if there's a cheaper, easier way why not run with it?

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is more cost effective to a point like frags and feathers said. I actually like hand dosing cuz it's hands on. Once your tank is 200+ gal dt or your coral growth is through the wall...The cost would go out the window imo and you would need the reactor. I'm just a reefer of 5 yrs or so.
Wat about a color pop additive/chemical sealbeach?
D

OP
OP
S

sealbeach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say Balling, do you mean that specifically, or are you including all two/three part systems?

The number of actual Balling users in the US is pretty small, and may be why the responses are not that high in number.

If I go to the Balling system I would use the 3 part. The other option would be the Zeovit system (very pricey from what I have researched)

TOMEGLOCK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Calcium Carbonator from Eco Reef. It is all we use. 18 months in our reef tank and everything is doing extremely well!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I go to the Balling system I would use the 3 part. The other option would be the Zeovit system (very pricey from what I have researched)

I'm still not understanding if you really mean just Balling, or if you would consider something like the two parts from other companies or even a DIY. :)

FWIW, the zeovit systems involves a lot more than calcium and alkalinity maintenance. I wouldn't really view it as an "alternative" to a CaCO3/CO2 reactor any more than vodka dosing is an alternative to maintaining calcium. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sealbeach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
As the leading expert in this field, What systems have you ran and what recommendation would you make to a very old school guy like myself? The people that help service my tank are leading the push to change to dosing and have recommended the Balling sysstem. My actual experience is almost zero for any type of dosing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back