Algae turf scrubber on SPS tank...Anyone?

Vmacisback

Vern McCalla
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone running this combo to help with nutrient reduction? Can seem to find much info on it. Thanks

mc-cro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a DIY srubber, and skimmer on my sps tank. I dont dose carbon or use GFO, although I do siphon detirtus from the sump once a week.. I am very happy with the results.

OP
OP
Vmacisback

Vmacisback

Vern McCalla
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a DIY srubber, and skimmer on my sps tank. I dont dose carbon or use GFO, although I do siphon detirtus from the sump once a week.. I am very happy with the results.

Man your tank looks great! what other filtration do you have going on this tank? Skimmer? I ordered an ATS and plan on using that in conjunction with my skimmer, i really wanted an alternative to pellets or vodka.
Do you have a build thread on here?

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acropora system that has run on a diy algae scrubber for about 3 years now with no skimmer.

mc-cro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think scrubbers are a great way to deal with excess nutrients in a tank. Its impossible to overscrub a tank, its self limiting and safe. unlike gfo, pellets, or carbon dosing.

assuming you keep decent husbandry schedule

Last edited:

yeldarbj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am running a skimmerless sps tank and just using an ATS. I've been skimmerless for about 6 months and the tank has never looked better.

OP
OP
Vmacisback

Vmacisback

Vern McCalla
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that you can go skimmerless I just dont see the point I guess. Why wouldnt you just run you skimmer for a few days a week? Are you nutrients so low that the skimmer would produce anything because its already being removed by the ATS?

yeldarbj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the short story on how I ended up skimmerless with an ATS. I had a skimmer and no ATS with very low nutrients (0 nitrates, 0 phosphates) and developed a bad case of dinoflagellates. I tried everything and finally came to the realization that I needed to increase nutrients (grow algae, cyano, diatoms, anything) to out-compete the dinos. I experimented with an ATS and once it seemed to grow, I took the skimmer off to help the ATS take off. After a couple months there were no more dinos in the tank. My sps that had been very stagnant during the dino infestation started to color up and started showing signs of growth. Everything looks great now so why go back to a skimmer. I've thought about putting in an undersized skimmer at some point but I'm not there yet.

OP
OP
Vmacisback

Vmacisback

Vern McCalla
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the short story on how I ended up skimmerless with an ATS. I had a skimmer and no ATS with very low nutrients (0 nitrates, 0 phosphates) and developed a bad case of dinoflagellates. I tried everything and finally came to the realization that I needed to increase nutrients (grow algae, cyano, diatoms, anything) to out-compete the dinos. I experimented with an ATS and once it seemed to grow, I took the skimmer off to help the ATS take off. After a couple months there were no more dinos in the tank. My sps that had been very stagnant during the dino infestation started to color up and started showing signs of growth. Everything looks great now so why go back to a skimmer. I've thought about putting in an undersized skimmer at some point but I'm not there yet.

I see, that makes sense I dont have dinos just high nitrate

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed 8 times per day with no results other than driving up the phosphate. I had 8 fish already (40 gallon)

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use a skimmer. I do have a diy ats...not really growing much algae at this point.
Nutrient levels are on the low side

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of ATS or fugues on SPS tanks because I want nitrate in my system. With 0 nitrates colors tend to be faded. If you keep .03 po4 and 10-15ppm nitrate you will have deep colored fast growing SPS (assuming everything else is stable and kept in range)

OP
OP
Vmacisback

Vmacisback

Vern McCalla
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of ATS or fugues on SPS tanks because I want nitrate in my system. With 0 nitrates colors tend to be faded. If you keep .03 po4 and 10-15ppm nitrate you will have deep colored fast growing SPS (assuming everything else is stable and kept in range)
Rich I follow your tank thread pretty close and have always been impressed. I dont think I am shooting for a ulns but for right now my ranges were a bit on the high side and growth was for sure stunted it seemed. Does your tank stay around the ranges you listed?, i know your tank matured pretty fast and grew pretty quick.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich I follow your tank thread pretty close and have always been impressed. I dont think I am shooting for a ulns but for right now my ranges were a bit on the high side and growth was for sure stunted it seemed. Does your tank stay around the ranges you listed?, i know your tank matured pretty fast and grew pretty quick.

Thanks. Yes, I keep parameters where I listed. This seems the best for growth/color combo IME. Of course this depends on lighting type. The problems that I had with growing macro for filtration is that it is too efficient in lowering nitrate. I also skim heavily and the combo of both strips my nutrients. I guess I would have to have a smaller skimmer or possibly go unskimmed, but then the macros aren't so great at reducing po4 :) I'm not sure which is the the best way, but I can easily keep the balance my way :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back