Can more flow caue RTN iin 24 hrs

g6gang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my first SPS frag pack in my tank for about 3 months - all have shown some signs of growth - The other day i replaced my return pump (slightly stronger). When I did this I slightly changed the return outflow that I guess was more directly hitting the bunch of SPS frags I have all in the same section of rock about 24" away from the return output - well one of the frags (i think it is either a tenius or an acro) completely turned white over night. All my params are steady:

dKH: 8.4
Calc: 420
Mag: 1260
PH: 7.8 - 8.0

My PH probe has been going nuts since I put in the return pump (show low, but I have tested with Salifert and API PH test kits and they both show around 8.0 on PH), so not sure if that has anything to do with it. The other SPS frags look ok. And other corals appear happy.

Here is pic from Oct when I first put them in my tank- The one that RTN's is the one on the right next to the Green Slimer
Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 12.41.51 PM.jpg

Here is a pic of what it looks like now:

Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 12.44.45 PM.jpg

Also since this is my first SPS, is that what I can expect inthe SPS world, instant rapid death? I have never seen this type f rapid death before in my other corals.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your last question. Yes. The "R" in RTN means Rapid, in some cases only hours. I would argue that your corals look good. Your monti cap looks like it's possibly getting too much light, and the others look pale/brown as well. The brown could simply be your lighting or camera so I wouldnt worry too much about that at the moment.

Where is your return? The green fuzzy coral on the right is a hynophora which will release a lot of chemicals and beleive it or not, placed in the wrong spot could be a problem for the rest of your corals
It might also help if you moved the SPS a little further apart from each other.

FWIW a tenius can be a very difficult acro to keep and I've killed more than one of them.

Last edited:

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pump could have stirred up some stuff in the sump that the one frag didn't like too. a couple of your frags looks blah, a couple looks pretty happy, and one is dead. I think thats called reef keeping in my ten years… :/

OP
OP
g6gang

g6gang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your last question. Yes. The "R" in RTN means Rapid, in some cases only hours. I would argue that your corals look good. Your monti cap looks like it's possibly getting too much light, and the others look pale/brown as well. The brown could simply be your lighting or camera so I wouldnt worry too much about that at the moment.

Where is your return? The green fuzzy coral on the right is a hynophora which will release a lot of chemicals and beleive it or not, placed in the wrong spot could be a problem for the rest of your corals
It might also help if you moved the SPS a little further apart from each other.

FWIW a tenius can be a very difficult acro to keep and I've killed more than one of them.
I am in the process of upgrading my lighting. I have Orbit Marine LED which I know is too low power and quite honestly surprised that they made it this far.

Re: Monti I thought since it was growing up instead of plating that it meant it was not getting enough light. Overall I realize light and low nutrients are making things pale.

But can the flow be a factor? I thought sps like high flow and thought stronger return pump was going to be a good thing

OP
OP
g6gang

g6gang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pump could have stirred up some stuff in the sump that the one frag didn't like too. a couple of your frags looks blah, a couple looks pretty happy, and one is dead. I think thats called reef keeping in my ten years… :/
Yes stuff was stirred up..also forgot to mention that new return had sponge prefiltwe and was causing non stop micro bubbles.

Also running Carbon and gfo in dual reactor.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, GFO has caused me notthing but coral death over the years. IME your monti cap will turn brown from lack of light, not pale.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And flow is a good think as long as its not a direct blast. I run my tanks at about 100X turnover at times but it is a tank wide flow, Not a fire hose directly at any one coral.

OP
OP
g6gang

g6gang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And flow is a good think as long as its not a direct blast. I run my tanks at about 100X turnover at times but it is a tank wide flow, Not a fire hose directly at any one coral.
I must have had the firehose effect and did not realize it...o well another live and learn moment. Thanks for the replies.

Back