Vivid's rainbow acro

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a frag of it. Tried to find out the best placement but all I have read is how everyone's has browned. Is it too low of light that causes it to brown? I use 250 mh, how far from them should it be placed.

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 3/4 up in my tank right under my radion pro. Tips are bright purple . You will see some brown till it gets bigger

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yes, it stays brown for a looooong time while it encrusts. As soon as new tips pop out they color up. Lots of light for color, lots of flow for tabling growth, lower flow gives long vertical branches.

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep mine had it's color for a month when I got it fresh cut. Turned brown. It's encrusting and getting new tips which are a nice purple/blue. Can't wait for it to color up

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So browning comes with new frag no matter what. It is still a fresh frag. Only started to encrust on cut no encrusting on plug yet. So i guess have to go through the ugly before the beauty.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So browning comes with new frag no matter what. It is still a fresh frag. Only started to encrust on cut no encrusting on plug yet. So i guess have to go through the ugly before the beauty.

Browning doesn't come from fresh cut frags, they can but its not black and white like that (IME) Ive noticed frags will brown when going into a tank with different lights, water params maybe even placement (flow) I've personally had frag stay brown for nearly 2 years before they got color :( and they only reason I kept those brown rid bits is I knew what it would become LOL.

You might ask where it was placed from the person you got it from and if they use the same lighting.

The VRD I picked up came in a little faded but not brown, I run LED so placement in my system won't help but it is sitting under ~300 par, maybe just under.

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from WWC along with several others. I have wanted Vivid rainbow for awhile, actually got to mark several of my list. Pearlberry, christmas mirabilis and joe the coral along with some others. Took a couple LFS to help.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see a quality pic of the Marbilis that isn't so washed out with Blue :(

I saw a pic on eBay that was a joke if someone wants to know what it's real color is, I don't use black lights on my tank so I'm lost LOL

Nice snag on Pearl and Rainbow!

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see a quality pic of the Marbilis that isn't so washed out with Blue :(!

Agree tired of seeing corals with only blue. I want to see what it looks like during day lighting. Don't really care what it will look like at night under lunars.

The one got is too small right now for glamour shots. Even small it has great metallic red on coralites and tips, with green base. Very similar to red planet but my red planet was only able to keep green very low on colony and red was not as metallic as the mirabilis. WWC has mother colony mirabilis in show tank. They said it retains much more green base than red planet. That i liked hearing.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience the Vivid rainbow is one of the more difficult rainbows.
As acro's go I find it to be hardy but takes it sweet time coloring up so it will test your patience.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here's the ATL Christmas mirabilis in a realistic spectrum under LEDs. It is very similar to Red Planet, has seemed redder rather than the pinkish of Red Planet, but I think I've always had very little green. I probably grow it in too much light, but it seems happy. It has been much more durable than RP for me, and survived a LOT of abuse...this one is regrowing from a frag from a mini colony in bad shape, first got it around 2009.

christmasmirabilis.jpg

Also, here's the Vivid Rainbow Delight under more of a daylight spectrum. This is about the best I have gotten it to look in lower flow. It has been really hard for me to capture its colors in photos. The blue on another colony is really intense, but it always blends in in with the pink tips and just looks purple in the photos and the green fades to whitish.
vividrainbowdelight.jpg

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vivid rainbow is about 2 1/2", not a very fast grower but color is very nice. I originally bleached it up high, then browned it low, and now I have it in the middle colored up. Maybe some quick growth will start :)I got my frag from Kenny (Pieces of the Ocean). he had a colony directly under a Kessil with awesome color. Mine is under 400w halide.

IMG_0433 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Keiki

AKA LACY ON RC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my ATL Christmas Mirabilis. The color of the large colony is off. The close up is more of the true color. I will be posting some for sale in the next day or so. I will also be listing others.

I also can't stand all the blue color. Many people don't realize that the colorful zoas among others are blasted with blue. When they buy them they can be disappointed because they don't look the same in their tank. If anything sellers should post pics with blue and without so much blue.

I grew this out from a small frag. The colony has been moved from place to place in the tank since I don't want it to attach to anything. I have been wanting to redo my rock work for over a year. I hate doing rock work. I will be doing it soon since I now have to post tank photos for a grow out competition.

Don't remember when this was taken.
20140827_110031_zpsl92a91gz.jpg

2015-04-26 16.43.56_zpsnxfjinn8.jpg

20150408_194221_zpszfvgjbuq.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also can't stand all the blue color. Many people don't realize that the colorful zoas among others are blasted with blue. When they buy them they can be disappointed because they don't look the same in their tank. If anything sellers should post pics with blue and without so much blue.

Agree about the blue. When at LFS i always ask to see the coral under normal lighting. I don't care what the coral will look like at night.

I also bought a acro from a LFS. They said they could not ID it since it was brown and did not look like any of their colonies. They aquaculture some high end stuff so i bought it. After months it is looking promising. Violet base with greenish tips. Still has more coloring to do yet. But i think it is s type of rainbow.

A friend purchased (2) JF fox flame frags. The will be jaw dropping in a year or so. Now they are as ugly brown as the rainbow acro frags area. He knows they will color up but he hates knowing he paid $500 for 2 brown sticks. It must be something about highly colored acro's.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking when I first saw the Mirabilis how similar to the red planet it looked, that picture Keiki posted is real close to my planet colony. Someone should take frag of red planet and Mirabilis and glue them next to each other to see if the fight or fuse together

LOL

I'll try and get a decent shot of my rainbow, it's looking sickly delicious ;)

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. Growing very nice and coloring up great. Bad cell pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 568

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back