2 carbon or not 2 carbon.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm debating my use of carbon in my sps dominate tank. So far I've been using 1 cup in a sump bag with 1 cup of gfo. Everything seems fine but I'm questioning if I should stop. I'm not Ulns or anything I feed heavy have a pretty good fish load and up until this week I've been using water from the lfs. I just got a spectrapure Rodi unit and will be setting that up this week as I have time. So with that said I will know positively 0 tds water I'm debating on saying good by to my carbon use. Thoughts?

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one with a opinion? Or just not wanting to open this debate up? Lol

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will bite and give my opinion.

I have been using 0 TDS water for everything in my current setup from the beginning (~ 2 yrs) and when I change out carbon I can immediately see a difference and when it gets close to the end of life for the GFO I can see a difference. For example. I am about 6 days from changing GFO and I am starting to see hair algae on the sandbed in a spot.

So with that being said, I think when you take them offline you will be able to see what it has been helping

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of people think it causes issues in sps tanks. Also the hlle deal with tangs.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyholmesfarley have you done any research on this?

I've not studied it, but I have heard of sufficient concerns with GAC and tangs to only use acid washed carbon (such as ROX). I used Marineland Black Diamond previouslyand had tang issues. Now I do not, although that isn't the only difference.

I've not heard of GAC and SPS issues.

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manly low nutrient systems. I guess. People say they have problems. Maybe stripping the water of to many trace minerals and sps stn.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not studied it, but I have heard of sufficient concerns with GAC and tangs to only use acid washed carbon (such as ROX). I used Marineland Black Diamond previouslyand had tang issues. Now I do not, although that isn't the only difference.

I've not heard of GAC and SPS issues.

The only GAC that I have used is BRS Rox. So that may be the reason I have never had a problem

Last edited:
OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm just buying I to the paranoid people lol. I asked adam .. battle corals and he said when he's used it he had damage so he stays away from it. With that being said I know his nutrients are on the low side. I'm probably just gonna stop use because I don't think I need it.

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I primarily have acros and I started using carbon after doing some research. What I've read is that the dustier carbons, such as lignite and bituminous, cause the hlle. Since ROX 0.8 is much more dust free, it apparently is much safer.

BRS has two good videos: one that compares the three carbon types' efficiency and another on how much PAR is lost to yellowed water.

Last edited:

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think too much too soon can cause problems. Start small. Really only good can come from it.

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys guess I'm just reading to far into things ... paranoia. Lol

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it in my SPS heavy tanks over the years to prevent any yellowness in the water and keep any potential odors at bay. Works for me.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back