i really need some help

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I had my mom turn my MH on for one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening. once I got home today I saw that my grapevine favia has turned white, my meteor shower has turned from to some weird brownish color?, my tyree red dragon is turning white on the bottom, and my sweet blue tenius is still white with a blue tip. I have plenty of flow and my temps are steady now. I'm going to do a water change and test my alk tomorrow. I don't understand why this is happening because my montipora is doing fine and so is my hammer and frogspawn. I would really like some help with what's going on. my tank has also been set up for probably 4 years now.

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were any other lights running, or was it just MH for 2 hours a day? How long did this go on for? Did mom feed, dose, or do anything else? Any indication of a power outage?

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the halides brand new? Are they HQI and have a glass sheild? Are they UV shielded mogul base lamps?

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you may have had a water parameter shift (perhaps an alk swing). However, montis are usually the first to show sings of an alk swing.

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are brand new I got them for Christmas and I tested my pH and it was at 7.8 and my nitrate was at 40ish which is really high so I'm doing a 5 gallon water change today and then a 10 gallon change on Friday I am going to do my alk test after I do my water change

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend not purchasing anything until you get your parameters in check and learn how to keep them stable with little to no fluctuation. Your problem could be a combination of alk and nitrate which are both to high. Make sure your salinity and temp match when you do water changes. When you get into sps heavy then you will watch to match alk, salinity, temp and ca while doing water changes.

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything else is fine and stable the only thing that's a problem is my alk and nitrate but I don't understand why my nitrates are so high when I do a 5 gallon water change every weekend and I only feed twice a day and its not very much

mrsandman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you absolutely sure the lights were only on for 2 hours during this time? I've bleached corals before because of too much light. Not to mention that the increased photoperiod causes an uptick in all photosynthetic activity resulting in algae blooms, temp spikes, etc.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back