Original branch of acropora forever to grow

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have this problem? The acro will encrust and shoot branches out all around and then new branches take off but the original stem won't grow and gets over taken by the new branches. Anyone else have the same expierence or is it just me lol if so why does this happen? Sometimes a new branch with bud off the original stem as well and it will grow but still the tip of the original piece will stay the same.

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with a couple of mine. Don't know why, but you're not alone.. In the past I've cut the original piece off once it encrusted and glued it to another plugged. That way someone else can deal with it

uppermost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to acros and the way they grow. I've got a pink millepora and the biggest changes I've seen is it's grown out across the frag plug. Why do they do this and is that what you mean by encrusting?

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to acros and the way they grow. I've got a pink millepora and the biggest changes I've seen is it's grown out across the frag plug. Why do they do this and is that what you mean by encrusting?

Yes, that is what I mean by encrusting and they do it to start a healthy base to grow from. Some do it more than others

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the issue with my green slimmer. I snipped the tips of the non growing branches and was quite succesful. Once healed over they started sending up new branches from the cut areas. I also had a large frag of pearlberry and it was very strange in the way that exactly half grew like crazy and the other half has never grown at all. It was all the same coral fully encrusted and part of the same main branch. I never tried the cut trick with this one since it is growning so well.
Jeff

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back