Purple bonsai not coloring up

Xbreakxitxdownx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have 2 colony's of purple bonsai and they aren't coloring up, I have 2 ecotech xr30w pro with tir lenses running radiance schedule at 60% in a 100 gal tank.. My flow is 2 ecotech vortech mp10w running 70% under reef crest my prams are
kh: 12dkh
Cal: 500
Mag:1,540
Salinity: 1.025
Ph: 8.1
Ammonia:0
Nitrites:0
Nitrates:0
Phosphate:0

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to like quite a bit of nitrate. Try bringing it up to between 5 and 10. Also going to need some phospate. Your Alk, Calcium and Mag seems to be a bit high. Especially for such low nutrient levels. Consider bringing them down.

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried bringing up your flow some? In my personal experience, I found heavy flow rates, really helped in getting my Acros happy. I was amazed at the improved rate of encrustation. Plus 1 on the above poster, I have starved my acros before, I was surprised to find how hungry they really are. I keep my fish fat, but I keep up with the water changes. Hope this helps.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light it is getting could be a factor also. I just got a really nice mini colony from a friend, the purple couldn't have been more purple. I mounted the coral high in my tank & my lights have faded it just a bit, still looks awesome, just not as purple as it was.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try lowering your alk and mg to recommended parameters and see if that helps.

Also no coral "likes" no3 not sure where that comment came from

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had same issue with all my corals with alk at around 11 with nutrient levels being very low. Try bringing alk down to 7.5-8 range and feed your corals. That may help corals improve.
A little nitrate does help

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag of garf bonsai that lost all color but the green polyps. Its been about 2-3 months and just now started showing a hint of purple. I'm running med to low light and low nutrients Dosing Red Sea colors. I have a frag farmers red robin that I bleached with leds and hadn't regained color in almost 5 months. All other sps have top notch color and PE just trying to get colors back and be tough and take time.

I would bring down your ALK , CAL , MAG slowly.

OP
OP
Xbreakxitxdownx

Xbreakxitxdownx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah I don't dose I only use salinity salt. My flow is strong but I can amp it up a little more, they aren't growing I had them for 4 months now. I test my waters with Red Sea pro kits. I will try and keep my water a little more dirty. I will post new pics of bonsai when I get home..

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps does not like dirty water! Nsw 0. Since when does nitrates being present benefit a coral that grows beautifully in nature without them present?! Smh

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also no coral "likes" no3 not sure where that comment came from

In my experience SPS does like some Nitrates. I have a SPS tank and have noticed better color with Nitrates. The purple bonsai was always kind of brownish white with green polyps until I raised my nitrates. Not saying that is definitively what is needed here but with the info provided I think salts are to high and nutrients are to low to achieve good color.

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to your opinion 3-5 ppm is filthy and .1 po4 is about 1000 times what it should be.

Lol

WWC runs their tanks at 30-40ppm NO3

Battlecorals has his PO4 at around .18ppm PO4

Tons of other examples

This isn't 2003 anymore.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record I used to keep 5ppm no3 and .1 po4 and corals were fine. No different but they sure grew a lot slower. So did the "like" it...I dunno because they never whispered in my ear. But when they started growing faster and looking better I realized they were happy with as close to 0 as I can get

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record I used to keep 5ppm no3 and .1 po4 and corals were fine. No different but they sure grew a lot slower. So did the "like" it...I dunno because they never whispered in my ear. But when they started growing faster and looking better I realized they were happy with as close to 0 as I can get

I've been 0/0 for six months with no color and no growth. Took my gfo offline, fed more and dosed KNO3 and only now am I seeing growth and color. Anecdotal? Sure. But I'm not changing anything now.

Now I'm importing a lot but still exporting heavily. Plus elevated NO3 keeps PO4 in check

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back