Any SPS dominant tanks with Kessils?

DVeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seeing who has kessils growing their sps corals? I have two a360we's over my 75g and have a couple of monti's that grow like weeds but am looking to expand to acros. I wanted to see who all is doing it and maybe compare some spectrum/intensity settings?
One of my monti's under the kessil
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423537006.395543.jpg

Last edited:

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of Acros and have 4 of the same ones you have over my 180 and I like them but I'm still figuring the lights out.....I have 2 t5 bulbs also that run with the kessils..at first I burned a lot of mine because I had them starting at 70% and I moved them down to 55% and still was burning them! Waaayyy more intense than you think and even look to your eye....still too early for me to say if they work or not but I have see some tanks that had great looking sps and had kessils over it...I'm gonna give the lights about 4 to 6 months and see....ever since I turned my intensity way down, I have been noticing Acros looking good and keeping color so time will tell I guess!

OP
OP
D

DVeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's in a 24" tank with lights about 6-7" above water. And like I've said my monti's have doubled in size

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I did a lot of reading on them before I got them and asked people who had good looking tanks and all had there's up high too! I had an 8 bulb ati unit before the kessils and I thought I would be fine but not at all for some reason! Yeah mine is 8 inches above water and I think 25 inches deep....

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I have checked so many times on here with the same question and I've found about 3 people haha good luck! I'm still following in case you get a jit

OP
OP
D

DVeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Do you have a full tank shot? How long have you been using the kessils over the sps? How is the growth?

eklapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good mr_gasket! Can't wait for some of those frags.
I'll see if a buddy of mine will chime in. He's has great growth and color with his kessils

OP
OP
D

DVeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good mr_gasket! Can't wait for some of those frags.
I'll see if a buddy of mine will chime in. He's has great growth and color with his kessils

Awesome! Would also like to see what settings as far as spectrum and intensity you guys are running the kessils at if you all don't mind? Thanks for posting!

mr_gasket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Do you have a full tank shot? How long have you been using the kessils over the sps? How is the growth?

I'll see what I can do about a full tank shot tonight. I will say that if I were to go back and redo things I would pay more attention to the rockwork. Currently my rock work is pretty high up in my 45 cube so I get a lot of shadowing with only a single Kessil. It adds another dimension to the tank though as well. Every angle you look at it from the side shows something different.

I had an A150 over the tank for about 10 months. The color was comparable to the photo above, but growth was pretty slow. I hooked up the A360WE April 2014 and that PC rainbow went from a single 1.5" stick to what you see there. I took that photo just the other day. I've been making small changes to my color/intensity over the last 8-9 months. I'll share the apex program I use when I get back home tonight.

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gal all SPS tank. Running 4 350w kessils.
List of SPS
strawberry short cake
Pink lemonade
Hawkins
Red planet
Green planet
Bonsai
Red dragon
Purple monster
3 different birds nest
3 Mont caps red, purple green apple,
Blue Maxi clam
Pearlberry
Fire and ice
Along with a few others. Color is pretty good..on all above mention. Growth is pretty good. Had a little set back on doser so tank Alk was not stable. So maybe in a month I can let the pictures decide for you.

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 of the originals over my 150. I also run 4x t5s for 4 hours. My sps are loving it, but my Lps on the sand bed need to be shaded.

OP
OP
D

DVeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gal all SPS tank. Running 4 350w kessils.
List of SPS
strawberry short cake
Pink lemonade
Hawkins
Red planet
Green planet
Bonsai
Red dragon
Purple monster
3 different birds nest
3 Mont caps red, purple green apple,
Blue Maxi clam
Pearlberry
Fire and ice
Along with a few others. Color is pretty good..on all above mention. Growth is pretty good. Had a little set back on doser so tank Alk was not stable. So maybe in a month I can let the pictures decide for you.

Mind sharing your int/spec settings?

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see what I can do about a full tank shot tonight. I will say that if I were to go back and redo things I would pay more attention to the rockwork. Currently my rock work is pretty high up in my 45 cube so I get a lot of shadowing with only a single Kessil. It adds another dimension to the tank though as well. Every angle you look at it from the side shows something different.

I had an A150 over the tank for about 10 months. The color was comparable to the photo above, but growth was pretty slow. I hooked up the A360WE April 2014 and that PC rainbow went from a single 1.5" stick to what you see there. I took that photo just the other day. I've been making small changes to my color/intensity over the last 8-9 months. I'll share the apex program I use when I get back home tonight.
There ya go.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423693537281.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423693537281.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,938

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back