T5 and SPS is this to much light

Ericsch333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 long frag tank with 6 24 inch T5 which works out to be 7 watts per gallon is this to much not bleaching anything yet but I don't want to all the frags are SPS's.

arnel0387

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how high or low your fixture is! Borrow a par meter and check your par! Problem solved

And don't pay too much attention to the "watt per gallon rule" this doesn't really apply to reef tanks..

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think too much light is very hard to do. The key is proper acclimation to the light. Whenever putting frags under intense light raising the light fixture or screening the light works well for acclimation. Also starting frags low is good. I've personally seen two 400w haldies on a 40 breeder and it wasn't too much light.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5's are great at illuminating every inch of the coral. This is excellent for dense growth and coverage, but without a good nutrient level you will see the stereotypical pastel colors associated with T5 lighting. If you're a neat freak with the tank and keep an ULN system you will not benefit from brighter lighting, I would raise light 10" or 12". If you keep a fed, non-unl tank (usually has good amount of nitrates) then blast the corals all you want. They will only respond with faster growth and brighter color.

fungia_fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're fine. That is not too much light for SPS, especially acros. 6 T5s over a 20L is probably about perfect. Just to give you an idea, I've put a 400 watt halide over a 20 long and the only problem was heat (needed a chiller).

OP
OP
Ericsch333

Ericsch333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks every frag look great and I don't see an bleaching I am starting to see some growth so I am happy with the lights.

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5's are great at illuminating every inch of the coral. This is excellent for dense growth and coverage, but without a good nutrient level you will see the stereotypical pastel colors associated with T5 lighting. If you're a neat freak with the tank and keep an ULN system you will not benefit from brighter lighting, I would raise light 10" or 12". If you keep a fed, non-unl tank (usually has good amount of nitrates) then blast the corals all you want. They will only respond with faster growth and brighter color.
This guy is correct.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back