Acro Problems

bonz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped this frag behind my rock work. It was there for a few days. The base is turning white in a addition to some tips. Should I cut the white parts off?

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no not unless its still deterioration if its holding just like it is once its happy again it well grow back over the white spots if it looks like its gonna continue to degrade then as a last ditch effort to save the frag should you start cutting otherwise its just gonna cause more stress to a already stressed coral

OP
OP
bonz

bonz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. I plan on adding phosguard should I wait for the coral to heal before adding it.

OP
OP
bonz

bonz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rotated the frag and noticed the white running up. Should I glue the white? Should I leave the lights on low to help it heal?

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have other SPS in the tank? How's it doing? Just trying to figure out if it's a tank problem or if it's a problem with this particular coral.

OP
OP
bonz

bonz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just this coral. It fell off the rock and was in the sand for a couple of days.

danangelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are it could the tank. Ived had acros fall before and it been there for a week til i realized it never had any stn just browned a little.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just this coral. It fell off the rock and was in the sand for a couple of days.

What's the latest? How's it doing? Do you know what your alk is? Alk issues are often the killer of acros. Also, how old is this tank. Judging by the color of your rocks, it looks pretty young?

I to have had Acros fall for a few days without getting RTN.

OP
OP
bonz

bonz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure of the alk. I don't have many corals, about 5 small sps frags, some zoa, shrooms and 2 leathers. I did do a 20 gallon water change on my tank. The tank is 125 gallons. My phosphates are very high so the water change maybe screwed things up.

I am going to get my water tested now.

The tank is 8 months old. The rocks came from a 4 year old system.

The coral was looking like crap. I super glued the receding parts and clipped a very small piece less then 1/10 of an inch and reglued it. The coral was very brittle. Some of the little bumps were falling apart when I touched it.

Last edited:

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a goner. You're going to have a hard time keeping any sps without knowing your alk. Your phosphates being "super high" isn't going to help. In my opinion, alk is the number one thing SPS keepers should focus on.

OP
OP
bonz

bonz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only this one piece that is dying. All my other sps are doing fine. My alk is 8 and my cal is 840. I dont know why my cal is so high. I used reef crystals but on my last change it was normal io. I don't dose.

Back