Need help setting up my mtc procal calcium reactor

BiG-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I could use some help setting up my mtc procal calcium reactor.my tank is a a 150 gallon sps reef with a plumed 10 gal frag tank. I tried to set it up before but I couldn't keep it stable and I lost a lot of sps so I took it off line and went to dosing and have been scared of it ever since.So now my doser went haywire and in turn damaged a lot of my sps. So here is my first question I'm only pulling 35 mls of alk a day do i need to be pulling more in order to be able to use such a big reactor? Or can I just dial it down to meet my needs I hate the fact that it's just sitting in my closet collecting dust. And I don't want to spend on a doser when I have a 600.00 dollar calcium reactor. That is considered One of the best.any help would be awesome.

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my reactor on a shelf waiting to be installed. I bought it when I hit 100ml 2-part daily. I'm at 120ml now and I'll install it shortly. IMO, the stability issue you mention may be as you also mentioned. That your trying to drive a 426 hemi at 20mph.

Artisan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new so I didn't want to say anything, but your ability to monitor and control your reactor will determine how successful you are with it. My personal opinion is that most regulators just aren't designed to work at such low levels of co2 delivery. Others may agree or disagree, but regardless, you'll probably need to look into monitoring and controlling your system more accurately. American Marine has a PH controller that allows you to set two points (High and low) which might help you to better control things. Beyond that, the second part of tuning your reactor is managing the flow of water through it, which means you have to monitor your levels in your tanks as well. My advice would be to set your co2 as low as possible and then adjust your reactor flow rate.

OP
OP
BiG-D

BiG-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's why I would love some input from people that have calcium reactors because I don't want to spend another 3 to 400 dollars on a doser if I can just run my reactor

OP
OP
BiG-D

BiG-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new so I didn't want to say anything, but your ability to monitor and control your reactor will determine how successful you are with it. My personal opinion is that most regulators just aren't designed to work at such low levels of co2 delivery. Others may agree or disagree, but regardless, you'll probably need to look into monitoring and controlling your system more accurately. American Marine has a PH controller that allows you to set two points (High and low) which might help you to better control things. Beyond that, the second part of tuning your reactor is managing the flow of water through it, which means you have to monitor your levels in your tanks as well. My advice would be to set your co2 as low as possible and then adjust your reactor flow rate.
thanks bud but the mtc procal reactor does not have a probe port

Artisan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. I don't mean to derail the thread, but how does this system work? I don't understand how it could be managed without some sort of internal ph monitoring system.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you don't need a probe port u can measure the output of your cal reactor by dripping the water into a cup and stick your ph probe into it to measure ph. It's depend on your substrate most will desolve at 6.5 to 6.7 ph so that what you want to shoot for. You can control the ph inside the reactor by adjusting the co2 coming in through bubble count. The key to a stable calcium reactor is the regulator don't buy a cheap one and suffer. The carbon doser electronic regulator by aquariumplant is the one you want to buy.

msudiver1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 GEOs on 2 different setups. My best advice is to set a good efluent broken stream and leave it. Then start with the CO2 low like 7.3 and test each day, then continue to lower every few days if your alk hasn't stabalized, once your alk stabalizes don't touch it. I run my efluent at a pretty good flow rate just so it doesn't clog and stop. Ive tried a slow drip and have had issues with it stopping.

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, first you need to figure out what your alk consumption is on a daily basis. Not how much you dose. I think if you are comsuming at least (in dkh) about .6 of alk or higher you should be able to make the Ca Reactor work for you.

If you are not using a pH monitor set the BPM of the CO2 to 40 and the effluent from the meter to .02 and start from there. Stop dosing and give the reactor about 24 to stabilize. and then test the alk. if it is too low turn the effluent to .25 and test in another 24 hours. I would also dose some alk when waiting for the reactor to stabilize.

Once the reactor is working it is pretty much set it and forget it, but until that time you have to test you alk daily and make adjustments until you have the reactor running correctly.

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on the point above about having a good flow rate vs. very slow drips.....I have had the drip stop when I set the rate very slow. Maintenance is also key so make sure all the lines are not clogged......this can happen over time. I also completely clean the unit every 6 months to avoid clogging. I swap out all the media and clean out all the residue in the bottom of the chambers. I also replace all of the 1/4 inch rigid tubing since that can get clogged over time.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to buy the electric co2 doser and it's been awesome just need a good check valve

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to throw it out there: why not try to get your money (or some) back out of the co2 reactor?

Reactors and dosers aren't the only way to take care of a low-demand stony reef....but I will say you could buy an aweful lot of doser replacement parts (including motors, pump heads, tubing, et al) for what you have in that reactor.

Skip it if this sounds like a dumb idea, hit me back if it doesn't. :)

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone is interested, I put together a video review and setup guide for the PROCAL.....

Excellent video
I have the same reactor but I use the Aquarium Plants CO2 doser. I would love to pick your brain for a moment.
First, I currently have it set to supply what I would describe as a broken stream. I notice that a least once a week or so I need to adjust the stream. It always seems to slow down. Do you find the same issue?
Second, I noticed you placed the supply line in the sump. I have mine setup as a siphon from my refugium located above the reactor. This always scares me for 2 reasons. First in a power outage the siphon will continue, although very slow. In a potentially long outage this will drain down a bit of my refugium, not a big deal since when power resumes it will refill. The part that scares me, is if the siphon breaks. In that case the calcium reactor will no longer be supplied with water and thus run dry. With you way to supply is the blueline pump capable of pulling through the supply line without priming the line first?

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks.

You should not have to adjust the stream on a weekly basis. MTC recommends that you place the reactor at the same level or below the sump (or refugium in your case) to avoid siphoning. Based on the location of my supply line, I did not have to prime the line first. I would recommend placing your supply line in this manner....hopefully that will solve your problem with an inconsistent stream and prevent any possibility of a siphon occurring.

jverna1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John I am also having the same issue with the effluent drip slowing down. I have my reactor sitting on the floor right next to my 100 gallon rubbermaid vat. The water is around the same height as the reactor and I still have the issues. I tried to cal MTC and there was no answer. By the way Reefbum thanks for the video it helped alot when I setup my reactor.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my procal reactor for about 5.5 years. Only once did I have an alk spike and that was when I wasn't paying attention, about the second year it was on. If you get a good regulator, you can set the bubble rate very fine tuned. Then adjusting your effluent will allow you to really hone in on what your aquarium needs.

Personally, I ignore the pH issue of it and run mine 24/7. I just adjust the bubble and effluent as needed.

Here is the articles I used to really get mine tuned in and regularly check by:
http://reef.diesyst.com/crarticle/crarticle.htm
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John I am also having the same issue with the effluent drip slowing down. I have my reactor sitting on the floor right next to my 100 gallon rubbermaid vat. The water is around the same height as the reactor and I still have the issues. I tried to cal MTC and there was no answer. By the way Reefbum thanks for the video it helped alot when I setup my reactor.
Sure. Glad it helped. Did you check to make sure that none of the lines are clogged?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back