Reef crystals or instant ocean for sps reef

Stoneyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Im changing salts. Been using red sea coral plus for years. Did a triton test that yielded some elevated metal results. I blame the salt. So whic should i go with?

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there other triton tests from other tanks using Red Sea showing elevated metals?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your alk and calc targets? I originally used RC but didn't like the swings in alk and calc I'd get on a water change, so I switched to IO. I also dose alk and calc to maintain constant alk and calc numbers.

OP
OP
S

Stoneyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I wish i had a control. Ive had problems sustaining stable alk and many of my colonies have rtn or stn over last few months. Thought id change something since everything else stays constant

K_red_raider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using RC but switched to IO due to the major swings in ALk after water changes (sometimes from 9 to 15) for a few days. I have read the cause of the swings was due to the fact that I run bio pellets. Im not sure how that matters but since the switch to IO I have not had any more ALk swings. I do run a CA reactor to keep all of my levels up.

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Kent Reef Salt for years and I love it, plus I love the price. I get it from Drs F&S for $44.00 or Pet Solutions, 200 gal. bucket for $49.00 and I get great results. Very high in calcium, magnesium and strontium, but the Alk is a little low, so I dose that. My corals love it and the fish do well. I haven't lost a fish due to the salt ever. I have had a couple jump out of the tank when the lid was open, but not from the salt. I will never switch. I switched once to Reef Crystals, but switched back, I didn't like the numbers I was getting.

OP
OP
S

Stoneyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using RC but switched to IO due to the major swings in ALk after water changes (sometimes from 9 to 15) for a few days. I have read the cause of the swings was due to the fact that I run bio pellets. Im not sure how that matters but since the switch to IO I have not had any more ALk swings. I do run a CA reactor to keep all of my levels up.

Whats IO?

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've trusted reef crystals since I've been into reef keeping.... I've tried Red Sea pro didn't notice enough a difference to justify the price diffrence tho

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to Kent. Very nice number for the price. Calcium is pretty high. So, I just avoid dosing Ca for a day or so after a water change. I always order it from PetSolutions. They have free shipping with over $50 order. The bucket just does it for getting over that ($52 I think). So, I make the mail carrier do the bulk of the heavy lifting. LOL!

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from Salinity to RC recently, and am unhappy with the high Alk post water changes. I am planning on switching tho IO when I use the last of my RC

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from Salinity to RC recently, and am unhappy with the high Alk post water changes. I am planning on switching tho IO when I use the last of my RC

Numbers please? What do you consider high ALK? Is it beyond the acceptable range? Are your corals suffering? Or is it simply that you want a particular number? Apparently your ALK isn't being used up. Is yours a dominant softy tank?
I've been using RC for 5yrs. However the last 9 months has been on a dominant LPS/SPS tank. I have to dose 20ml daily of soda ash to keep up with the ALK demand.

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers please? What do you consider high ALK? Is it beyond the acceptable range? Are your corals suffering? Or is it simply that you want a particular number? Apparently your ALK isn't being used up. Is yours a dominant softy tank?
I've been using RC for 5yrs. However the last 9 months has been on a dominant LPS/SPS tank. I have to dose 20ml daily of soda ash to keep up with the ALK demand.

I try to keep mine around 8. I dose 11ml of soda ash (BRS) daily, but my tank is small (35gallon TWV) so when I do my weekly water change, it jumps up to 9ish. It's not necessarily the highness (poor wording in my original post), but the jump that bothers me. If my tank were bigger, I don't think I would even notice it

ccthao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"m thinking about switching from Reef Crystals back to Rea Sea Pro. I've been using Reef Crystals for 7 years, but I now get inconsistent batches. Some batches will mix well and others will mix with a cloudy consistency. Not to mention the residue it leaves on the top and sides of my mixing tank. Here is a pic of what 1 batch of 10 gallon leaves on my 10 gallon mixing tank. This is after one batch !!! its unbelievable. Notice how caked the glass is .... same goes for my mixing pumps. I have to constantly soak them in vinegar after each batch. Reef Crystal used to be the go to choice but lately their quality control is terrible. At first i thought i was the only one with bad batches. Did they ship production to CHINA ? Or has the plant managers just become disorientated by rolling around in our cash ? I know IO and Reef crystals are from the same company but does anyone know if they are from the same production plant?

metro6775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Crystals. I had one batch mix cloudy like skim milk, and one box where all salt got rock hard like cement and the bags were sealed. I had better luck on the current box but it does leave a white coating on my pump and heater and some kind of brown residue at the waterline. Thinking about going back to IO or something else.

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used RC, but I like the argument presented for using IO. There is always a big swing in alk after a WC, and maybe a salt that was less alk loaded would be a better bet for stability (those of us that are dosing are relying on the continual dose to maintain stability anyway). Good thoughts!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back