White acropora

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a white acropora with rusty red tips and light blue polyps. Does this color acro need less light? I keep my acro over 400 par. Never had a white acro though.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a pic?

i used to have a whitish acro with ice blue tips.i had it placed about midway down(about 18inches) below the surface with a 400w halide about 18inches above the water surface..(halide was on a dimmer balast, 20k radium about 3/4 )

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427643110.757860.jpg

It looks more white than picture. Only the tips and encrusting at base have reddish coloring. It is pretty with the blue polyps on the reddish tips. I would like to have it under lighting that makes it look best. I am under the thought that white ones will never be acclimated to regular par just by the nature of the color. So i do not want to go higher par thinking i am doing good, just to realize i am not.

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like acropora. I would look into stylophora for care requirements. The light base tissue will likely go away; I would guess that this frag was cut from a shaded area of the mother colony.

The reason we know it's not acropora is because it lacks a corallite structure and there are no axials. I think we can also rule out seriatopora because it's encrusting at the base.

dubaygv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a rainbow stylophora to me. The light parts will turn bright pink once it's happy in your tank.

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stylo could be. I have several. Green, gold, teal, purple and JF bug out, which is just an over priced rainbow. As well as a couple pocillopora. I think the white base was not registering as stylo. And the lack of polyp extension my other stylos have.

Thanks knowing it is a stylo 400 par would be a cake walk for it. But acclamation till the white is gone. Bummer would have liked the white base color acro. Well frag a palooza is in a couple weeks will look there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back